Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's been to kauai?

Roxysnow
    Beautiful island! We did a ATV tour and had a blast! It rains almost every day at 5:30pm! and chickens every! Not a snake on the island either! Have fun!

dc96819
    Go check out the Fern grotto

WishIknew
    Get a refund and go to MAUI!!!!!!!!!!

boat boy
    Tahedia Nuwies for Mia-Tias, spelled it wrong just ask where the Mia-Tia place is everyone knows. Last time there bar bill was fifty five dollars. Thats 5 dollars a drink, you figure it out. If you like to fish or snorkle there's Capt. Bob his in the blue book about Kauai.
    Forget Bubba Burgers and go straight to Ono-Burgers you will pass them on your way from the airport red shack on the right side of road abour 2/3 of the way up from the airport.

C-2
    Congrats on your unique choice! Hanalei is on the “wet” side, North Shore, not touristy and laid back, almost in a "hippiesh" kind of way. The North Shore has its own micro-climate and usually rains every day (home to the rainiest spot on earth at 450” a year).
    If you are staying in a house and will be cooking – do yourself a huge favor and stock up on supplies at the Costco (and gas when you return) in Lihue. When you’re down in Hanalei, the only market will be Food City, a cool little market where a 12 pack of soda will set you back $9, a pound of ground beef about $14….you get the picture. The Costco is neat cuz they have a lot of local stuff, and the fresh, local fish is cheap. They also have Wal Mart and Home Depot in Lihue – real lifelines because before that, there wasn’t shiat.
    Kapa’a on the East Shore (pronounced kuh-paw, or kuh paw ah) is the next city, kind of dry, crowded and a tourist trap, lots of luau’s there. Some modern stores like Rite-Aid and McDonalds.
    Further down on the way to Hanalei in Anahola, off the side of the road is Ono Burger, a must do; and also pick up some Anahola Granola – don’t ask why, but it’s the best granola around.
    Further down is Princeville, home to the incredibly wealthy. There is a big, modern condo and resort spread, far different from Hanalei. However, it’s also home to the Princeville Hotel, which pretty awesome. On the weekend “the Prince” has a seafood buffet, I think it’s about $75 a plate, and yes, it’s pretty much worth it. A must do for the date night out, or even with the in-laws. You need reservations (not always easy to get) and they have an early and late sitting. After dinner it’ cool to run around the hotel, it overlooks Hanalei Bay and makes for nice photos. They also have a spa and plenty pf golf there. In Princeville they have Food City, the only somewhat modern grocery store in the area – sign up for a “Makai” card, a free club card which saves you some bucks. There is also Mail Boxes etc there if business bites you in the arse and you need Internet. (Hanalei also has Wi-Fi).
    Across the street from the Prince is the nicest landfill you will ever lay eyes on, there is also a great photo op turnout there – incredible views of the flat, Taro-filled Hanalei Valley.
    Down the hill from the Prince is Hanalei Valley/Bay. The center of the town is Ching Young Village, a gathering spot with small shops, real Hawaiian shaved ice, and several small restaurants/coffee houses. Usually always busy, this is the last touristy spot until the end of the road.
    Continue down the road and the next bay over is Wainiha, where my in-laws have a home. There is a secluded beach there – great for shelling since it’s off the beat and path. It’s one of those beaches you could have to yourself the entire day.
    And if you keep driving, you will end up at Ke’E beach at the end of the road. UNREAL for sunsets, as evidenced by the people who flock there to watch it every night. It’s a bitchen little beach which is enclosed by an outer reef, not too much of a tourist trap, and ya might see a tittie or two. The Na Pali Coast (West shore) starts there, thus the spectacular sunsets.
    Things to see…
    Waimea Canyon – their Grand Canyon and almost as impressive. The lookout points leading up to it, where you can look down on the Na Pali Coastline – which is awesome. I hear a boat, sailboat or helicopter tour of the Na Pali Coast is unreal, my 90 year old grandfather has cruised the world and says without a doubt, it’s the most breathtaking slice of earth he’s ever seen.
    The Kilauea Lighthouse in Kilauea – you can also drive around some of the roads there, incredible spreads of land (Kilauea is east of Princeville).
    Anini Beach – the premier place for snorkeling. Probably the prettiest beach, there is a public beach area, but if you can find a place to park alongside the small road – those are the best places. Would be nice to have a beachfront there, but I’m about $10M short.
    In Hanalei – you have paddle boarding (mega popular), kayaks, boat and zodiac tours.
    Princeville and Kilauea have stables and ATV tours.
    Banana Joes, a roadside smoothie shack just outside Princeville.
    The Guava Plantation in Kilauea
    Of course, the helo tours.
    Surfing starts at Hanalei Bay – Pine Trees in Hanalei Bay, Waikoko’s, Tunnels and Canon’s further down the road.
    A the end of the road, there are two popular water caves, an ice cold dipping hole, Limahuli Gardens is cool….before Canons you will see the nicest groomed and gated/fenced house alongside the road, where Pierce Brosnin/Keely Shay live.
    Powerhouse road is really cool to drive up.
    If you return top the dry side (Waimea is on the dry side), you will pass thru Poi’Pu – not a big fan of the area. Some of the resorts are in Poi Pu – the Hyatt Regency (I believe a 5-star) is really, really nice.
    Eucalyptus Trees tunnel – fun driving thru it on the way to Poi Pu, also some pretty neat stables in Poi Pu, another bog golf course there too.
    Barking Sands beach is at the end of the road on the South Side, where the Na Pali Cost ends. A crushed shell beach, not crowded.
    --
    When in Hanalei- tread lightly with the locals, kill them with kindness and they’ll return the same. And when crossing the one lane bridges – trust me – no matter who was there first, locals have the right of way and will use it, lol.
    Have fun

drtywhat
    Dont forget about "secret beach" its an unofficial nude beach and hardly anyone there... its the beach south of the light house

MBlaster
    Wow great info guys. I'm gonna print some of this stuff and take it with us.

DaddyMack
    What they all said... plus... unless I missed someone saying it... up near princeville, you can hike down through a bit of jungle to the beach where "Blue Hawaii" with Elvis was shot.... just ask some of the locals where exactly its at...

Magic34
    We normally go to the Hyatt at Poipu every year for about 10 days. Having a baby this year has thrown it off.
    We dont leave much, just hang out on the beach and lagoon at the hotel. We venture into the nearby town for dinner a few nights.
    It is a nice area, but after reading these others it seems I have missed out on a ton to do there. If you are someone that can sit in one spot and have a good time, Poipu is nice. If you cant sit still, which I cant but somehow do, then the island is very green and great to enjoy.
    I think in October/November the whales are out in force if I remember correctly. You can see them from the shore. It is either that time or around February. Cant remember 100%.

mobldj
    just landed in ontario from the islands,no alchohol left as the 4 of us that went drank it all,go to dukes 4 drinks,take a snorkel tour to napali coast,go to bubba burgers in kapaa,rent your snorkel stuff from snorkel bobs in kapaa or hanalie,go past hanalie to the end of the road ,decent snorkeling there.if you golf go to princeville if you got the $ unless you got a uncle like us who lives there and get an islander rate.drive to the falls and get your souviners at the wal mart(your friends will never know).aloha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast