Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 300X BREAK IN PERIOD??

HavasuBarney
    HD, I do know everybody in the shop really well and have been in the very spot Toby speaks of... It was not pleasent for anyone. I also agree that Lew is a great guy, he is also known to give those good-ole-boy discounts. That was cool when it was his shop, he has partners now though.
    From experience, once you are dealing with Rich, stay with Rich. Sometimes he gets busy and may not realize how he comes across, I know because I'm guilty of the same, but he is a good guy and will treat you fair. If it seems like he was trying to make a buck off you, well that's why he was talking with you to start with, that's his job.
    I don't mean to be a smart ass but Lakeland gets a ton of "if I could would you" calls from all over the world. They handle more 300's than anyone. If your really serious, take some cash and go cut the deal with them in person and I'll bet you wind up happy with a good motor.
    Steal the trade? In a dealership? No that type of thing could never happen...
    If you feel bad about giving them the motor for free and feel you must, I would always take it for free to help you out, just for you though

ZSARGO
    HavasuBarney:
    HD, I do know everybody in the shop really well and have been in the very spot Toby speaks of... It was not pleasent for anyone. I also agree that Lew is a great guy, he is also known to give those good-ole-boy discounts. That was cool when it was his shop, he has partners now though.
    From experience, once you are dealing with Rich, stay with Rich. Sometimes he gets busy and may not realize how he comes across, I know because I'm guilty of the same, but he is a good guy and will treat you fair. If it seems like he was trying to make a buck off you, well that's why he was talking with you to start with, that's his job.
    I don't mean to be a smart ass but Lakeland gets a ton of "if I could would you" calls from all over the world. They handle more 300's than anyone. If your really serious, take some cash and go cut the deal with them in person and I'll bet you wind up happy with a good motor.
    Steal the trade? In a dealership? No that type of thing could never happen...
    If you feel bad about giving them the motor for free and feel you must, I would always take it for free to help you out, just for you though FROM WHAT I SAW OF THE MOTORS THEY SEEMED PRETTY NEW. $8500 DOLLARS FOR A COMPLETE 300 PROMAX SEEMS A LITTLE CHEAP. NOW WITH THE TRADE IN OF A DAMAGED 225. WHAT'S IT WORTH? 3000-4000 GRAND. THAT SOUNDS MORE IN LINE. LIKE I SAID THEY ARE PRETTY FAIR PEOPLE. THEY ARE IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY. BUT THEY DON'T TRY AND RIP PEOPLE OFF. WHY DON'T YOU ASK THEM HOW MUCH YOU CAN BY THE MOTOR FOR WITHOUT A TRADE AND SELL THE OTHER MOTOR YOURSELF. I'M SURE THE OWNER OF THE MOTOR WANTS TO BLOW THEM OUT. HE IS SPENDING THE MONEY ON TWO NEW 300X'S.

HavasuBarney
    You have email gentlemen!

TOBTEK
    ok, so heres the latest. $8500.00 for the 300pm but only $1000.00 trade in value( nothing wrong with making a profit, but I think $1000.00 is low). plus rigging the new motor. The biggest issue at this point is the lower end selection. He has a choice of a torque master without a low water pick-up with LEFTHAND gearing OR a righthanded fleetmaster also without low water pick-up. They said all the oval racers use the left handed gearing, but what about getting prop's. Im sure its not a problem if you want to get new one's but finding used prop's would be a bitch I think. Question 2, what about external water pick-up on the transom..is this a good idea? doesnt anyone know of a 300pm with low hours, with a sportmaster and right hand gearing....come on wink oh yea...for cheap.

Boatmaster
    Tob tell your brother I will call him today, I still have not heard back from my customer up north on his 300 . On another note are you still out for the BBSP next weekend? Are group leaves next Tuesday!!!!!! I can't wait, my shop has been swamped and I need the time off.

HavasuDreamin'
    Nothing against Lakeland........I know they are just trying to make a buck like everyone else...but I think your 225 gearcase is worth a $1,000 if it is in good condition, and your midsection/bracket assembly is probably worth another $1,000+ if in good condition. Your cowling is worth about $400 or so if in good condition. That is atleast $2,400, so I think you are correct in that the $1,000 trade in value is low.
    I wouldn't go for the left hand gearcase. Props will be a pain in the a** to find and the only used ones seem to be guys running twins in which case they ususally want to sell the props as a set.
    On another note........didn't Barney say that he has a line on a 300PM with a sportmaster gearcase?

TOBTEK
    Boatmaster:
    Tob tell your brother I will call him today, I still have not heard back from my customer up north on his 300 . On another note are you still out for the BBSP next weekend? Are group leaves next Tuesday!!!!!! I can't wait, my shop has been swamped and I need the time off. drew.....get ahold of that customer of yours, if you would stop playing on the internet for ten minutes.....jesssssssss J/K. Anything you could do would be great! This deal is REALLY bad, but it just isnt the hot setup either. The non sportmaster lower isnt that big of a deal but loosing the low water pickup and the lefthanded gearcase....I dont know, I think he needs to keep looking......HEY PETE wink

ZSARGO
    ZSARGO:
    OK. LET'S HAVE A SURVEY. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THESE THINGS TO CUT LOOSE. I HAVE 8 HOURS ON MINE AND STILL CAN'T GET IT ABOUVE 5200-5600 RPM. MANY FELLOW BOATERS HAVE TOLD ME 15 HOURS, SOME AS LITTLE AS 5 HRS (TOBY). I SPOKE WITH MERCURY RACING TODAY AND THEY SAID ABOUT 2 HOURS????? I KNOW I KNOW. I SHOULD BE PATIENT. PROBABLY 5 MINUTES AWAY. MERCURY TOLD ME I SHOULD TAKE IT BACK TO LAKELAND AND HAVE THEM TEST THE PERCENTAGE OF POWER. 70% OR 100% IS THE QUESTION I GUESS. THIS IS THE HOW LONG TO BREAK IN A 300X DISCUSSION, NOT FIND TOBY AN ENGINE DISCUSSION. J/K. TOBY GET NEXT WEEKEND OFF. DON'T YOU HAVE ANY VACATION TIME SAVED UP. MAYBE YOU CAN CATCH SARS OR SOMETHING. WHATEVER IT TAKES, GET YOU ASS DOWN TO THE BBSP.
    [ April 18, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

TOBTEK
    ZSARGO:
    ZSARGO:
    OK. LET'S HAVE A SURVEY. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THESE THINGS TO CUT LOOSE. I HAVE 8 HOURS ON MINE AND STILL CAN'T GET IT ABOUVE 5200-5600 RPM. MANY FELLOW BOATERS HAVE TOLD ME 15 HOURS, SOME AS LITTLE AS 5 HRS (TOBY). I SPOKE WITH MERCURY RACING TODAY AND THEY SAID ABOUT 2 HOURS????? I KNOW I KNOW. I SHOULD BE PATIENT. PROBABLY 5 MINUTES AWAY. MERCURY TOLD ME I SHOULD TAKE IT BACK TO LAKELAND AND HAVE THEM TEST THE PERCENTAGE OF POWER. 70% OR 100% IS THE QUESTION I GUESS. THIS IS THE HOW LONG TO BREAK IN A 300X DISCUSSION, NOT FIND TOBY AN ENGINE DISCUSSION. J/K. TOBY GET NEXT WEEKEND OFF. DON'T YOU HAVE ANY VACATION TIME SAVED UP. MAYBE YOU CAN CATCH SARS OR SOMETHING. WHATEVER IT TAKES, GET YOU ASS DOWN TO THE BBSP. I would LOVE to go,But I cant go! Im not one to "dog" work in the name of fun. I kinda figure I need my job to pay for this stuff. Sorry for taking over your thread cry I heard your sensitive....J/K. any new info on your motor? getting the RPM's your looking for yet?

ZSARGO
    OK. I HAVE 16 HOURS ON THE ENGINE NOW. MAX RPM IS 5200-5500. I MAY HAVE A FOULED SPARK PLUG PER RICHIE AT LAKELAND. DROPPED IT OFF WITH HIM YESTERDAY. THE FIRST TIME I HAD THE BOAT OUT, THE THROTTLE WAS STICKING AND WHEN I STARTED THE BOAT THE MOTOR HIT SOME HIGH RPMS IN NEUTRAL. LET'S HOPE I DIDN'T DO ANY DAMAGE. MERCURY REPLACED THE PARTS FOR ME THE FIRST TIME. THANK GOD FOR WARRANTIES. I SHOULD GET THE BOAT BACK NEXT WEEK, SO HOPEFULLY WE CAN FIX THE PROBLEM AND I CAN PUT THAT 26 BRAV0 ON THE REV LIMITER.
    [ May 04, 2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast