Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21 Daytona,modified 2.5 vs stock 300pm?

stoneman
    I Just purchased an 80's 21 Daytona and have a
    2.5 260 that i may have some mod's done on it.I
    also have a line on a 98 300PM that i can trade
    for with some cash.Being a new owner,and purchasing the daytona without a moter,i don't
    know what to expect from the boat.Any feedback
    would be appreciated.Thanks Stoney!

MAXIMUS
    Hmmmm... idea install a jet!!!

HammerDown
    My good friend has a 21' Liberator...almost the same exact boat(Daytona Splash)...your's has few more inches less of freeboard.
    With a 2.5 Mariner the boat is just awsome...when he hits the juice>87+ with 4 adults...its a rocket eek! ! And very stable.
    I'm quite sure you'll be more than happy with your outboard Daytona...I sure wish MY 1983 21' Daytona Big Block JET was as power to weight efficient as your outboard will be.
    [ March 06, 2003, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

TOBTEK
    It all boils down to what you want to do with your new Daytona. If you want the ease of oil injection, a turn key no hassle motor. Get the promax...now if you want a quick and ultra high reving speed demon race boat, get the 2.5 . Keep in mind the 300PM red lines at somewhere around 6400 RPM's and the 2.5 is around 9000. I never had a problem with my 260hp 2.5 BUT a motor spining at 9k isnt going to last as long as one spining at 6K. You didnt state how much time was on either motor, which is a concern on which ever way you go. Also keep in mind that the 300PM has a weak prop shaft that will prob need to be replaced with the new "300x fat shaft" You should really talk with Havasu secert and Havasu Barney! Secert has a 21 dayonta with the 300 pm and Barney has one with the X. They are both getting huge top end speeds...good luck

HavasuDreamin'
    Stoneman:
    I saw the boat you purchased over at the S&F board. That is a nice boat. I wanted it, but it wasn't in the cards right now.
    I think the main difference you will see between the hopped up 2.5L and the '98 300 Pro Max is torque. Too make a long story short, I think you ought to go with the Pro Max.
    It is my opinion that a 21' Daytona is too big of a boat for a single 2.5L Merc. By the time you get 2 or 3 additional people in the boat, along with an ice chest full of silvers , the motor would struggle because the 2.5L doesn't have the torque needed to push a heavy load.
    My guess is under ideal conditions (1 person, light fuel load, etc). you will get similar top end numbers. However, under typical conditions (2/3 tanks, 2 or 3 people) the 300 PM will out perform the 2.5L significantly.
    Good Luck and post pictures!

HavasuDreamin'
    Hey Maximus........he wanted to go fast.......so he opted for the O/B.

stoneman
    Hey HavasuDreamin!I saw you at s/f looking at my
    daytona.I thought you were going to get it before
    i got my act together.I'am leaning toward the
    300,but as we all know,it's about the money.
    I guess i threw this out in hope that someone
    would would push me over the edge and say screw it
    i'am going 300!Thanks Stoney!

TOBTEK
    how many hours are on each motor? Big Price difference? and the 2.5 isn't digital fuel injected. Plus the 300 has a better charging system......spend the extra $$$$$$$ its JUST money.

simon
    It really depends on what you want. I build a 2.7 motor that spanks the pro max 300's.The pro max is heavy and they have a poor holeshot.The 2.5 is good but HavasuDreamin' is right about when you load the boat down it is a big load on a 2.5.That is where the 2.7 comes in. 325 hp, pump gas, 8500 rpm.If you would like more info you can look at my website. www.simonmotorsports.com Thanks, Eric
    [ March 06, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: simon ]

dcb 26 machman
    In the long run i think the 300 would be the way to go! Who likes mixing oil anymore???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast