Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Educate me - Impeller size

Sleeper CP
    OK, who is MPD, and how much for the kit?
    MPD: Marine Performance Design (Jack McClure) he has been doing jet pumps in So Cal for nearly 30 yrs or so. His pumps have won the most championships and have been run in the fastest jet boats for years.
    His operation is in Costa Mesa Ph. 949-631-2040. You won't find better pump work in So. Cal. Prices vary depending on the work you need. Your application is not a high hp deal so even on NOS you can probably use an Alum impeller.
    There are other So Cal shops that can probabaly do what you need done for your 21' Ft day cruiser. It's not like you need a killer race pump to get what you need out of it. But ,he does do the best work you will find.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

bp
    You have to remember it's a big old station wagon. Hull and pump only weigh in at 990 lbs. And then the open bow the air doesn't exactly like passing over it.
    we weighed my boat in jack's shop about 4 years ago, with everything out of it - i'd stripped every piece of metal for powder coating. the only things were the hull and pump - 865, so you beat me .
    I have learned in the past 90 days or so that MPDs' pumps are far more efficient than the typical blueprinted pump.
    i'll give ya a story. 10-11 years ago, keith ran a "lake layup" daytona with a 496 in the 11 second class, and ubfj with a 200 or so shot. he ended up winning the 11 second championship one year, but took the thing to cfw, put a 400shot in it, which of course scattered the poor thing. he had a 540 built for it, while he started racing the biz. as keith was going to stop racing, dave was building my engine. knowing what was going into the engine, keith kept telling me "it'll make a great 11 second boat", as we both knew the southwind was heavier than the lake layup daytona, not by much, but heavier. the first race of the season, we take the lake daytona back out to ming, and sure enough, the best it can do with the 540 is 11 seconds, so we win that class. next race, we have the sw together, and i run a best of 10.12 at 103, which was faster than his lake daytona ever ran. granted, i had more hp than him (his 540 had brodix heads, sheetmetal intake, twin big doms, i had 2 750s), but we're talking almost a full second difference and higher speed out of a southwind tunnel, compared to a daytona.
    the difference? my pump had been blueprinted by mpd in 1985, then freshened before we ran the new engine. his pump was not blueprinted by mpd, nor did it have mpd hardware. mpd has been in the same location for over 35 years.
    If you would like to ride in a gullwing at 120 plus I'll stand back and watch you. Thank you very much
    aahhh, no thanks. my only point was that AA versus mpd prepped A stuff. the biz weighed 365 completely bare (no pump), and ran 132-134 in the 7.80s, turning that impeller 6600.
    Signi told me for years that he would love to seen our engine in a 450 lbs. hull and see how it performed.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    ronnie gave me crap everytime he saw me about that, as did a few others. there are several reasons i've continued to run the southwind.
    ask ron about his trip to sitc, running the 7.0 class with his 460" engine. nobody, but NOBODY, believed he was running 7s in arkansas with an engine that tiny. there were reasons he could do that with no n2 i had several people tell me the same thing in marble falls 3 years ago.. "you can't run 10s here in a southwind with no n2". ok. qualified #5 out of 26 with a .03. i think you're starting to get the drift...

speedymopars
    MPD: Marine Performance Design (Jack McClure) he has been doing jet pumps in So Cal for nearly 30 yrs or so. His pumps have won the most championships and have been run in the fastest jet boats for years.
    His operation is in Costa Mesa Ph. 949-631-2040. You won't find better pump work in So. Cal. Prices vary depending on the work you need. Your application is not a high hp deal so even on NOS you can probably use an Alum impeller.
    There are other So Cal shops that can probabaly do what you need done for your 21' Ft day cruiser. It's not like you need a killer race pump to get what you need out of it. But ,he does do the best work you will find.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    Given the fact that he is less than 10 miles away from me... I think the choice is clear. Thanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456