Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise on my 73 Hondo Jet W/Jacuzzi jet

mark49
    I own a 21' Hondo with a Olds 455 with a Jacuzzi jet, it has a jetarator but that doesnt seem to help get this boat going much faster. It runs 4600 RPMs maxed out, at about 44 MPH, can i swith out the impeller to one that would give me maybe 10 more MPH???
    Any ideas and costs
    Thanks
    Mark

malcolm
    Somethings fishy, 4600 should be getting you way more than 44. I'd guess you should at least be over 50. Have you checked your speedo with a GPS to make sure that's all you're doing?

n8dawg
    has your pump been rebuilt?

Malcomb is right on , the RPM vs speed is wacky ,assuming you tach is correct the boat should have that 10 mph your looking for. How does the boat ride ? for example is it "wet' to the drivers seat etc More info would help Tom
    Nate Whats up! ya get your starter fixed?

Just re-read your first post ,i had assumed it was a Wj but suspect now its a YJ with maybe factory trim ? or It could be an "energized" jacuzzi ?(as the only other Hondo cruiser I've seen had a YJ) Still would be helpfull to know which jet you actully have/ Call or email for help ID-ing the jet Tom

malcolm
    I've heard of many smaller Hondos with WJs. Never seen one with a jetarator tho. Sorry Mark.
    I just re-read and noticed it's a 21, oooops! Might be a little tougher getting that thing up to speed.

Malcomb is right on , the RPM vs speed is wacky ,assuming you tach is correct the boat should have that 10 mph your looking for. How does the boat ride ? for example is it "wet' to the drivers seat etc More info would help Tom
    Nate Whats up! ya get your starter fixed?
    I drove the boat for the engine break in. I took it up to about 3700 - 4000 RPM. It was at night and only the tach was lit. I noticed an increase in RPM raising the trim a little. Mark49 told me that he kept the trim in the down position almost all day. I told him that having it down causing too much boat in the water on plane. I told him to leave it in the level or stock position until he can figure out how it works. The next time I see the boat I will look to see which jet it is. What is the going rate for a ss impeller?

I forgot to mention. At the intake grate there are two aluminum fins on either side. One is broken. Would that cause problems with the steering when trying to get on plane? Basicly, it is hard to hold the steering straight on acceleration. The steering is fine when you get on plane.

malcolm
    My boat pulls to the right pretty hard until I get on plane. Never figured out what makes it happen. Been that way ever since I put the diverter on.

mark49
    I don't know if these pics will help much, I will get the info on the pump.
    I got the boat used last year; I know nothing about its history
    Also this boat steers very squirrelly at speeds just before it on a plane, i know this is a Jet boat characteristic , but this boat you must be really on the steering wheel turning it, then over correcting.
    It's in the shop getting a new yellow updated paint job.
    Maybe the new paint job will make it run faster? :-)
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast