Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scared Poopless

I took my new alcohol Placecraft to Aha this weekend to get some seat time in it. The water was really nice so after a couple of short passes I decided to go for it. Well at about 800 feet. 7400 rpm, (guessing 130mph?), the motor shut off. To say the least, I was scared poopless. The boat has a jetaway but I never thought that would save me at that speed. However, the boat dropped and went straight until it stopped. Thank god for Placecrafts design. The boat would not restart. I think the MSD Pro Mag and/or the external coil-points box shut down??? I know Mike Porters has done the same thing to him. I think I'm going to switch back to the Mallory Super Mag III. Anyone else aware of the MSD Pro Mags having this type of problem???

Dogballs
    Sounds like you got lucky, have any pics of your PC?

Sounds like you got lucky, have any pics of your PC?
    It's the blue and white one in the labor day pictures, shot from the back of the boat.

djdtpr
    Hey Steve glad to hear that all went ok for ya. Ive had my TPR Stealth shut down at 8400 three times now and every time it just goes nice and straight. It happened to me over labor day and that was the worst yet. One of these days ill quit leaning on it and just be satisfied.

Dogballs
    It's the blue and white one in the labor day pictures, shot from the back of the boat.
    Very nice!!

Hey Steve glad to hear that all went ok for ya. Ive had my TPR Stealth shut down at 8400 three times now and every time it just goes nice and straight. It happened to me over labor day and that was the worst yet. One of these days ill quit leaning on it and just be satisfied.
    Do you know why it's shutting down? You're running a Mallory mag aren't you? I never had a problem with my other PC, and Whitey hasn't since I sold it to him either, and it has a Mallory.

djdtpr
    Do you know why it's shutting down? You're running a Mallory mag aren't you? I never had a problem with my other PC, and Whitey hasn't since I sold it to him either, and it has a Mallory.
    Ya it keeps blowing the burst panel from leaning the motor out. So far the Mallory mag has been flawless. I used the run a Hunt mag and a Vertex before that and never had any problems with any of them.

Wow, blowing a burst panel three times??? Peterson thought that maybe my engine went dead rich and washed down the plugs. I assumed it was the mag so I pulled it so that I could get it tested without trying a fresh set of plugs. I know it's rich, and I don't have a high speed lean out, so he may be right. I'll wait to see what MSD has to say after testing the mag.

djdtpr
    Ive never washed all the plugs at the same time,ive washed a couple at one time. I would definatly lean toward the mag if it just shut of with no warning. Better to be safe than sorry though id check everything and anything. I dont run the high speed lean out on mine either it doesnt make sence to run it on a jet boat to me.

PE826
    I run a msd mag and have only had a problem with it on one occasion which was my fault. I used my existing toggle switch instead of the one that comes with the mag, it was toast in less than 3 months. Other than that it has worked flawlessly for 4yrs. But after hearing your story I think I'll send it in for a check-up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast