Just got home from the Vet's office, having a cry and a drink. 'Tramp' was a female Shephard, about 5 yrs when she adopted my weimereiner and me. She was living in an abandon property next door to where I purchased a home about 6 yrs ago. She would bark and run away. Each day, the weimer 'Harley' and I would walk the property while it was in escrow. Each day, Tramp would see us, run up, bark and run away. Several days later, I let the two dogs play and it worked out. That night, I heard a scratching on the door (thought it was Harley at the back door), next morning, Tramp is sleeping on the front porch at old house (she'd followed us home) the night before. Well, I'm not sure who adopted whom, but the dogs have been together ever since. About a year ago, Tramp developed hip dysplasia (sp?) and it's been a down hill battle ever since. Tried glucosamine (sp?) and didn't help. Two weeks ago, she couldn't get up at all and had started to mess herself (both #1 & #2). So, today she went to the dog beach in the sky, I held her and told her I loved her as she took her final breath. It HURTS! Am I a bad guy? Sure feel like shiat right now. Hoping I made the right decision for her and me.
Carl