Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just put down my Shephard.......bad guy?

CampbellCarl
    Just got home from the Vet's office, having a cry and a drink. 'Tramp' was a female Shephard, about 5 yrs when she adopted my weimereiner and me. She was living in an abandon property next door to where I purchased a home about 6 yrs ago. She would bark and run away. Each day, the weimer 'Harley' and I would walk the property while it was in escrow. Each day, Tramp would see us, run up, bark and run away. Several days later, I let the two dogs play and it worked out. That night, I heard a scratching on the door (thought it was Harley at the back door), next morning, Tramp is sleeping on the front porch at old house (she'd followed us home) the night before. Well, I'm not sure who adopted whom, but the dogs have been together ever since. About a year ago, Tramp developed hip dysplasia (sp?) and it's been a down hill battle ever since. Tried glucosamine (sp?) and didn't help. Two weeks ago, she couldn't get up at all and had started to mess herself (both #1 & #2). So, today she went to the dog beach in the sky, I held her and told her I loved her as she took her final breath. It HURTS! Am I a bad guy? Sure feel like shiat right now. Hoping I made the right decision for her and me.
    Carl

Kilrtoy
    Sorry to hear this,
    You did the right thing

thatguy
    Just by wondering if you did the right thing, I believe proves you did. You obviously cared about Her, and knew what was best. Sorry for the loss, you gave her a home at the end. That is admirable.
    Tommy

Phat Matt
    You're not a bad guy in my book.
    Sorry about your doggy.

Jyruiz
    Not a bad guy at all, if anything, you are strong and you did the right thing.

buzzaro
    We adopted a shepherd mix about two years ago as a pup and at just over a year old he subluxated his hip. Not sure if I used that right but basically its a slight dislocation, we took him and and it comes down to the fact the he has displasia in both hips. My wife and I have had a lot of time to think about it and hes doing ok right now but for us it came down to two questions: How is the quality of life? and who are you making the decision for?
    The first question seems pretty easy to answer but the second one isnt, or at least wasnt/isnt going to be for us.
    So we basically we decided that when we are keeping him alive for us and not for him, then its time....not that its going to be any easier. It sounds like you made the best the best decision for your friend and not for you, which in my book is the right thing.

DeltaSigBoater
    You did the right thing, sorry for your loss.

AZJD
    Just got home from the Vet's office, having a cry and a drink. 'Tramp' was a female Shephard, about 5 yrs when she adopted my weimereiner and me. She was living in an abandon property next door to where I purchased a home about 6 yrs ago. She would bark and run away. Each day, the weimer 'Harley' and I would walk the property while it was in escrow. Each day, Tramp would see us, run up, bark and run away. Several days later, I let the two dogs play and it worked out. That night, I heard a scratching on the door (thought it was Harley at the back door), next morning, Tramp is sleeping on the front porch at old house (she'd followed us home) the night before. Well, I'm not sure who adopted whom, but the dogs have been together ever since. About a year ago, Tramp developed hip dysplasia (sp?) and it's been a down hill battle ever since. Tried glucosamine (sp?) and didn't help. Two weeks ago, she couldn't get up at all and had started to mess herself (both #1 & #2). So, today she went to the dog beach in the sky, I held her and told her I loved her as she took her final breath. It HURTS! Am I a bad guy? Sure feel like shiat right now. Hoping I made the right decision for her and me.
    Carl
    You did what she needed, and what she wasn't able to tell you.
    Sorry for your pain...............

squirt'nmyload
    i think you definately did the right thing. as much as you would like to still have her here, just think about the pain and suffering she would be going through.

ol guy
    Have had to do the same thing and I simpathize with your'e feelings, pets become part of our life and to do that is tough, but you must always think of the quality of life for the dog. She is at the dog beach right now thanking you.Best I can do to help the loss. DOG LOVER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast