Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just put down my Shephard.......bad guy?

OCMerrill
    We went through this about 2 years ago. Yellow lab with hip issues. She was a Shelter- Lab Rescue dog (abandoned as a puppy) and had a very hard first 4 mo's. We battled through all of her behavioral issues and she turned into the best dog anyone could ask for. Practically understood the English language.
    But, as the story goes her hips were fawked. She turned a bit aggressive and bit a kid out on a camping trip right in front of my kids. She had been on a series of meds for over a year and we were told they can become mood altering. Unfortunately this was said after the fact.
    I had no choice as we had small kids. Laid her on her favorite blanket and I held her the same as you. I must have told her sorry about a thousand times. Difficult deal x 10.
    I said to my wife for the next three months I made a huge mistake but it was what our dog needed.
    A vet told me Animals will live through agony just to please their masters/owners. If they were wild dogs they would lie down and die but for us humans they try and keep the fight.
    So think of your Sheppard dog as sort of a daily personal hero. That's what she was.

CampbellCarl
    Thanx all. I feel a little better alreay. Going to switch from BL to Jack, have a brown water and toast Tramp's life with us.
    CC

thatguy
    Thanx all. I feel a little better alreay. Going to switch from BL to Jack, have a brown water and toast Tramp's life with us.
    CC
    Done! Tommy

MBlaster
    You are a humanitarian and did the right thing.
    Have a drink, you deserve it buddy.

stoker22405
    Sorry for your loss....
    You did the right thing...

Flyinbowtie
    Been down that road with my Shepard, too.
    You did the right thing.

GHT
    We did the same thing with our Shepard. He was a great dog and we picked him up as a stray and abused at about 3-4 mos old. We had to put him down at 12 yrs. His hips would give out at the slightest step in elevation.
    At least he didn't suffer and he brought many years of joy to my family.
    Hope you feel better soon and I'm sorry for your loss
    Don

redneckcharlie
    I've had to do the same thing for a few of my pooches. It sucks, big time! But as time goes on, I can still make myself smile and laugh with the memories I have. Thats the good part, those never go away!

Sleeper CP
    It is amazing how we get attached to animals, you did what needed to be done. You gave her a better life for the last 6 yrs and she was a part of yours. It's just the circle of life, some times it is shorter than we would like.
    Have a toast to her, that's all you can do.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

WTMFA
    I know how you feel. I had to put down one of our two huskys a little more than a year ago. I made sure too look in his eyes as the vet did their thing. As much as it hurt me to do it I know it was the right thing. IMO, we are more humane to animals than we are to people. My father lived with alzheimers for the last 10 years of his life and if he would have known what life was going to be like those last few years I KNOW he would have opted out. Here's to Tramp may he have a never ending supply of bones to chew on!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast