Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: See a boat broken down...STOP TO HELP!!!

boats&bars
    I have always stopped to help and tow people in. You just never know when you yourself might need it.

little rowe boat
    About a month ago, I towed a guy in an old beat up sail boat back to cattail cove. The tow took approx. 1 hr. He was about a half mile south of steam boat. We were headed north and he was trying to wave people down but nobody would stop. We told him we had to catch up to the rest of our party but we would be right back. We came back 20 minutes later to find him trying to swim the boat to shore. He said I did not think you would come back.

hkunz
    Back when were were building our Tahiti, my wife and daughter took it out in Lake Perris while I re-carpeted the bunks and painted the trailer. I told them to take it for about three laps, then come back and see if I was done. I got the trailer done, went down to the ramp, and they were nowhere to be seen. My daughter is a bit, well, rambunctious (she used to break my glasses giving me a hug) as well as big (6'1") and strong. She spun the ignition start switch right out of the dash, breaking all the wires. They swam it to the island (I told you she was strong), and a guy with a jet ski towed them back to shore. Neither had any mechanical ability at that time (daughter still doesn't), so they were pretty much stuck unless someone helped. Since then, I've towed any number of boats back to shore. It just follows "the law of the sea".

hkunz
    Back when were were building our Tahiti, my wife and daughter took it out in Lake Perris while I re-carpeted the bunks and painted the trailer. I told them to take it for about three laps, then come back and see if I was done. I got the trailer done, went down to the ramp, and they were nowhere to be seen. My daughter is a bit, well, rambunctious (she used to break my glasses giving me a hug) as well as big (6'1") and strong. She spun the ignition start switch right out of the dash, breaking all the wires. They swam it to the island (I told you she was strong), and a guy with a jet ski towed them back to shore. Neither had any mechanical ability at that time (daughter still doesn't), so they were pretty much stuck unless someone helped. Since then, I've towed any number of boats back to shore. It just follows "the law of the sea".

Caribbean Jet
    A week ago Friday my wife, kids and I launched from Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave. We were roughly 15 miles north of the marina when the boat wouldn't start. Without even signaling anyone over, a guy named Chris, and his family stopped by to help. His dad and he both got in our boat trying to trouble-shoot the problem. He ended up towing us back for 2 hours in his 27' Dana. For the 2 hours he spent towing us, using his gas, and taking time away from his family vacation, he would NOT take ANY money for his time or gas! I tried numerous times giving him money for the tow, or to stop at the gas dock at Cottonwood to fill up his Dana. He wouldn't take it...nonthing!
    If any of you know this guy, you need to tell him he's a real STAR and a gentleman! I remember him saying that he's a member on this board with the name of Chubby...something ?
    Do any of you know this guy, Chris?
    Wherever you are Chris, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! You were very kind to help us out in need. When you purchase your next DCB, allow me to pay for part of your insurance! ...if you'll even allow me.
    Devin Wozencraft
    This is a great story, Chris if you are on this board you rock and Devin you are also a stand up guy.
    Last season my family and I were heading back to Moabi from Havasu when we see this Magic screaming along and he hits a sand bar. Well long story short, my family and what ended up being a couple of other guys took at least an hour or more digging and pushing this guy off the sand bar. As all of us are cheering the accomplishment of getting this guy off of the bar and he took off with barely a thank you. I wouldn't have taken money but a beer or at least a thank you would have been nice.

Riverdog1
    Most likely old school boater. I remember those days, they are rare anymore.:idea:

Lavey5150
    Ran out of Petro 1.5 miles from Temple Bar on the Tuesday before Labor day, no one around, no one, a wakeboard boat came by, towed my no-gas :jawdrop: ass in accepted no money, nicest guy and gal around.Good folks are hard to find...............

san-d-eggo
    i cannot count the number of people who stopped by on rice rd. at 1 am one friday night when we had our alternator go out a couple years ago..... and locals dont like river folk? from that point i always stop to see if people need help. even on the way to the river. oh and all you guys sayin its only the old school river people stopping, it isnt true. its how you are raised. im only 25 and have towed, been towed, helped, and have been helped.

TahitiTiger
    I myself have towed a few in, and stopped and helped a fellow Jetter get his boat going again.
    Yet the two times I broke down on the lake (when I first got it, I had ignition problems) I freakin rowed that effer in. One of those times was over a mile, and not one person stopped to help. As a fatter of fact a wake boat came in way to close to me, and caused some real nice chop for me
    Last weekend my I had a blow out on my trailer, and no one once stopped to help. And at least 20 boaters passed us while I sat on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. :cry:
    Seems like no one in my area, wants to help another out. Not to worry though, if I see a stranded boat (even a wake boat) I will toss him/her a line.

STV_Keith
    Probably 2 years ago, saw a family on a pontoon in the toolies just South of where the no-wake zone is in the river North of the Sandbar. He had burnt the motor up. I couldn't tow him, but gave him a ride to Moabi. He wouldn't get out of the boat without giving me a $20.
    Also towed a sea-doo boat to Willow Beach once in the Scarab. They ate smokey OMC idle for 1.5 hrs for that 4 mile trip.
    Bottom line, do your part when you can...one day it WILL be your turn. :sqeyes:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast