Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 STROKES IN CALIFORNIA

gnarley
    Hey guys what happens when someone who has one of these engines out of California (in another state) wants to move into the state of Ca with that boat engine combo? If they had it before they moved to Ca how could the state stop them from being allowed to bring their personal possessions & then registering them in Ca? They tried doing this also with out of state cars and had to refund the penalty from the out of state ‘ers.

TOBTEK
    OK, just walked in the door from DCB. Les is correct! You Have to register a NEW boat with hi-performance outboards OUT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA! This suck's even though better to reg in AZ it would be nice to have the option. Now if you want to register out of state then LATER reregister in CA, they dont have anyway(yet) to know what means of power is on your used boat. Meaning the boat is registered not the motor....so I was told! Also you may register your new boat with a out of state usage licence, stating you use it a certain percentage of the time out of the state of Ca...what a pain in the but!
    So, in a few months I will be SWEET talking Charlie or KAB with many silvers/tini's or favorite adult beverage for usage of their out of state address.
    BTW: new ride starts to be built next week

ZSARGO
    IT'S NOT THE BOAT THAT IS A PROBLEM IT IS THE MOTOR. LIKE IS WAS SAYING WHEN I RIG THE BOAT WITH MY NEW 300X THEY HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE BOAT AND SEND MERCURY THE PICTURES ALONG WITH VIN NUMBERS AND BOAT REG NUMBERS. THEN IT IS MERCS RESPONSIBILITY TO ADVICE CALIFORNIA THAT AN ILLEGAL TWO STROKE WAS PLACED ON A CF NUMBERED BOAT. THEN WHEN YOU GO TO RENEW YOUR REG. NO CAN DO. FOR YOU BOATERS WHO WANT TO USE THE BOAT IN CA BEWARE. CHP IS HIP TO THE FACT THAT BOATS WITH AZ STICKERS AND AZ REG ON THE TRAILER ARE MOST LIKELY TRYING TO AVOID UNSECURED PROPERTY TAXES. SO IF THEY SEE YOU TOWING YOUR BOAT DOWN TO A CALIFONIA BODY OF WATER A FEW TIMES, YOU WILL GET A TICKET. MY ADVICE IS TO REG THE TRAILER IN CA AND REG THE BOAT IN AZ. I DID THIS WITH MY LAST BOAT AND TOWED IT WITH A COVER SO YOU COULDN'T SEE THE NUMBERS. OLD JOHNNY LAW MIGHT GET TO KNOW YOU BOAT DOWN AT THE LOCAL LAUNCH RAMP AND SEE IT HAS AZ REG.
    [ October 01, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

77charger
    AS FAR AS THE BANS ARE CONCERNED ON LAKES AND RIVERS. I THINK THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF WAVERUNNERS AND JET SKIS. FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY WILL OUTLAW 2 STROKES LESS OR EQUAL TO 16 FEET.[/QB][/QUOTE]
    wrong way to think like that the enviros plan is divide and conquer yes your o/b will be next.I myself hate the pwcs and can care less if they are banned but dont suppport the use of a 2 stroke engine as an excuse.Next will be a big block boat like mine.They are working on dirtbikes also!
    [ October 01, 2002, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: 77charger ]

randy77zt
    if my 260 blows up i wont hesitate to pick up a motor out of state.2 strokes are on thier way out as far as new models are going.that is why only merc makes high perf motors.if bombardier made high perf motors maybe merc would come down on their prices.but the engine builders are in hold mode because of emission regs.i think a good turbo/water intercooled/efi 4 stroke could be made to match the weight of 300x but not a 280.or a 2 rotor mazda engine.i think the government is killing the creativity of the engine builders.i can see a camless 4 stroke with computor operated 4 valve heads.if i was buying/building a new boat i would just put the motors on at home.

TOBTEK
    ZSARGO:
    IT'S NOT THE BOAT THAT IS A PROBLEM IT IS THE MOTOR. LIKE IS WAS SAYING WHEN I RIG THE BOAT WITH MY NEW 300X THEY HAVE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE BOAT AND SEND MERCURY THE PICTURES ALONG WITH VIN NUMBERS AND BOAT REG NUMBERS. THEN IT IS MERCS RESPONSIBILITY TO ADVICE CALIFORNIA THAT AN ILLEGAL TWO STROKE WAS PLACED ON A CF NUMBERED BOAT. THEN WHEN YOU GO TO RENEW YOUR REG. NO CAN DO. FOR YOU BOATERS WHO WANT TO USE THE BOAT IN CA BEWARE. CHP IS HIP TO THE FACT THAT BOATS WITH AZ STICKERS AND AZ REG ON THE TRAILER ARE MOST LIKELY TRYING TO AVOID UNSECURED PROPERTY TAXES. SO IF THEY SEE YOU TOWING YOUR BOAT DOWN TO A CALIFONIA BODY OF WATER A FEW TIMES, YOU WILL GET A TICKET. MY ADVICE IS TO REG THE TRAILER IN CA AND REG THE BOAT IN AZ. I DID THIS WITH MY LAST BOAT AND TOWED IT WITH A COVER SO YOU COULDN'T SEE THE NUMBERS. OLD JOHNNY LAW MIGHT GET TO KNOW YOU BOAT DOWN AT THE LOCAL LAUNCH RAMP AND SEE IT HAS AZ REG.Les....your not putting the new motor on till Spring right? Register it now in AZ! then if Merc does send a notice to AZ California will never be the wiser...if you were to ever reregister in ca....what a pain huh!

HavasuDreamin'
    I am glad I live in Indiana. wink I think I will trek right on down to the nearest hi perf Merc dealer and buy a Drag Motor with no problems or questions asked!
    [ October 02, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

TOBTEK
    HavasuDreamin':
    I am glad I live in Indiana. wink I think I will trek right on down to the nearest hi perf Merc dealer and buy a Drag Motor with no problems or questions asked! you suck or should i say "treehugers" suck even more? This whole EPA thing is a big pain in the ass..ya think all the cars in California are more of a problem than a hand full of outboard boaters? And California lowered vehicle registration 67% in the last yr and ahalf, could/should have used that extra money for something usefull!

HavasuDreamin'
    I just hope the "California Tree Huggin'" Cancer doesn't spread to the rest of the states. Long live the highly pollutant, bad ass, 2-stroke O/B!
    eek!

TOBTEK
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
    I just hope the "California Tree Huggin'" Cancer doesn't spread to the rest of the states. Long live the highly pollutant, bad ass, 2-stroke O/B!
    eek!
    [
    if it spreads to AZ we all we be beggin to register our boats at your address!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast