Thread: Powerstroke Hop Ups

Boozer
    I know a lot of you have diesels so I figure you guys might be a good source of information for me.
    Today I purchased a 96 F350 w/ the 7.3L powerstroke. I am starting a new business and need the truck for the business and the thing is going to be a work horse so reliability is essential. However when the truck isn't being used for business I plan to pull a 38' 5th wheel and 19' boat in tandem. That's going to be a hell of a lot of weight to pull so I want to know what all can be done to this thing to get the most performance out of it reliably.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks.

slingingsmoke
    get on the boards @ www.thedieselstop.com and www.oilburners.net
    these sites helped me out when I was a newbie....
    good luck.. the 7.3 is a workhorse.. and can handle lots of power!
    JON.

little rowe boat
    I would probably go with one of the programers. The 7.3 is a workhorse and can do a lot with just the stock set up.

H20 Toie
    Well for one plan on a lot of tickets the longest you can be is 65' in California and if pulling tandems neither one can be longer than 28'.
    If you have an accident even if it's not your fault you can be sued and or be charged with criminal negligence. so you may want to rethink your plan.
    oh and if your insurance company finds out what you are hauling you will not have coverage but besides that have fun.

little rowe boat
    One more thing,I don't think the 96 psd is intercooled,so you might want to consider looking into a intercooler for it.

Boozer
    Well for one plan on a lot of tickets the longest you can be is 65' in California and if pulling tandems neither one can be longer than 28'.
    If you have an accident even if it's not your fault you can be sued and or be charged with criminal negligence. so you may want to rethink your plan.
    oh and if your insurance company finds out what you are hauling you will not have coverage but besides that have fun.
    I don't live in California. Come summer months EVERYONE pulls tandems around here. (I'm in Colorado now)

slingingsmoke
    many will say just "buy this..or buy that"
    You want something that is right for you. Spend the time researching..You will find that some programmers/chips have Lower EGT's but shift harshly, or vice versa. There are + and - with every developer.
    I would definitely suggest upgrades such as an intercooler, Intake, 4" downpipe and exhaust, possibly a new turbo, torque converter (the weakest link), and there are TONS of home-made mods for this model year that improve reliability and power.. Good luck!
    On that note.. there are some big guns out there like Banks, I got nothing against the company, but there are alot of other better products out there, and your not paying for the name.

Jordy
    Like every other Ford out there the tranny is the weak link. You can upgrade the 7.3 a bit, but don't be expecting 400hp to the rear wheels kind of power without throwing way more money at it than the truck is worth. Just my $.02

soupersonic
    Just like slingingsmoke said, theres alot of things you can do.I would do the intake and exhaust first.The torque converter and valve body second. Gauges next. Then you are ready to add some power with injectors or an electronic box . And i would only recommend Banks for hard parts like the intercooler and exhaust systems, stay away from their electronics.You can do alot better for your money with someone other than banks in that department.