Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A non boat related/car engine & transmission ???

n8dawg
    A friend of mine has a '72 GMC Sprint (basically a el camino for those of scratching your heads). He wants to put the 572 GM crate motor in it with a M-22 4-speed. I told him to spend a little more and drop in a Doug-Nash 5 speed, I know it will handle the horsepower, the racing shop is telling him to use an automatic. My thought is that he isn't building this car for racing, the stick shift is alot funner to drive around that an automatic. I grew up with the thought from my dad that ALL automatics are for old people..........keep it old school!!
    Any thoughts on this?

ck7684
    Depends on how well he likes rowing gears. I had a '65 Impala with a muncie M21 and racing clutch. It was fun sometimes, but when just cruising it was a PITA. I also had a '76 Stingray with a fairly stout SBC and racing auto trans, which was also a PITA to drive slow cuz it banged the gears so hard and so fast. If it was mine I'd go with the 5 speed...

Badburn
    Personal Preference.......... I'd put a v drive in it

Youngblood
    T-56 6 speed, might as well get decent gas mileage on those long hauls.

tbanzer
    I put a automatic in my blown street rod. I figured it would be easier on drivetrain parts and also figured I would need two hands to steer.

n8dawg
    I put a automatic in my blown street rod. I figured it would be easier on drivetrain parts and also figured I would need two hands to steer.
    I see your point if the car is a daily driver but if not then why not have some fun banging gears out if the car is only driven on the weekends or once a month.

ck7684
    Auto will definately shift faster if built right...

n8dawg
    Auto will definately shift faster if built right...
    :sleeping: But are boring to drive!......Personal prefrence

N281PONY
    Like Youngblood said. I would look into a Viper spec T-56. Call D&D Performance and talk with them. That's who I order my parts from.
    http://www.ddperformance.com/

H2OT TIMES
    How about a built automatic with a manual valve body??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast