Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lookin for a good machine shop

LuckyDaze
    For anyone who doesn't know I have been working my brains out on my boat when I found out the previous owner didn't set end play so my cam was going flat on an exhaust lobe. I pull it apart and find out that my head gasket was seeping a little bit into the center of the block. It also looks like the block was not de-burred and we found casting sand floatin about... I have decided to tear it apart and make sure everything is true. My problem is the old machine shop my dad and I used to go to is no longer up and running. I think he moved to the mid west and picked up again. It looks like I may be decking the block and possibly needing a hone and who knows what else it may need.
    Does anyone know a good reliable machine shop I can go to somewhere in Southern California? Thanks in advance for the help! I'm hoping to have this bad boy all ready and fully prettied up by Christmas, money permitting.
    ~Brian

boats&bars
    speed o motive in west covina ca

pw_Tony
    Where in So Cal? I've had good success with Total Performance in Santee, CA

LuckyDaze
    i live in Rialto and don't mind a drive as long as the work is done well. I have some horror stories from some machine shops in the past. I got a block back once with barrel shaped cylinders. Don't want that happening again
    ~Brian

n8dawg
    i live in Rialto and don't mind a drive as long as the work is done well. I have some horror stories from some machine shops in the past. I got a block back once with barrel shaped cylinders. Don't want that happening again
    ~Brian
    Bummer man. Have you used your Miller at all this year? Think you will have it done this year? I'll make a special trip out to the river if your going to have it back in time (just to let the Miller's run!)

junkyardhunter
    Luckydaze, I highly recommend Johnson Racing Engines, they've been real good for a few of our forum members and the service is excellant (quick).
    JMS Racing Engines
    5450 Peck Rd.
    El Monte, 91732
    (626) 579-4567
    ask for Mike(owner).
    Hope this helps,
    Rio
    JMS is a good shop with no BS.

ol guy
    I have used Rancho machine in Temecula. Maybe a bit of a drive for you and the shop looks small but when you look around and see the things he works on and the quality, you might like it. Not to spendy and not real quik but Keith keeps an eye on all that is going on. Rancho machine, Keith-951-676-9292.

steelcomp
    If you need some specialty headwork done let me know. I know shipping is a little hassle (I'm in San Lius Obispo County), but I'm about to start offering my services to the public, and thought I'd mention it here. If I can help, PM me with some contact info.
    Thanks,
    Scott

LuckyDaze
    If you need some specialty headwork done let me know. I know shipping is a little hassle (I'm in San Lius Obispo County), but I'm about to start offering my services to the public, and thought I'd mention it here. If I can help, PM me with some contact info.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Funny you should mention that Scott, Im actually moving to San Louis Obisbo in two weeks. I am also batting the idea of putting hardened seats at stainless valves in the heads. I'll keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer.
    Nate, No I did not get to use the boat at all this year and it looks like I wont get to use it till next summer. Im shooting to have my cash saved up by Christmas to have all of the machine work done. That is if I even need the machine work done. I want to get some names and numbers ready as there is rust on the block from a seeping head gasket and I would rather be prepared then not.
    Thanks for all of the names now I just have to make a decision! haha.
    ~Brian

pw_Tony
    Do your heads already have hardned exhaust seats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast