Thread: Big thanks again to HFD

Danhercules
    Just got back last night from a 3 day trip to Havasu.
    I have one heck of a boat. I was towing my wife on her new wakeboard. I was also towing someone else who is a very experianced skier. She said its a perfect wakeboard boat. We went for a cruise down past Steamboat, up to the sandbar a few times.
    This motor rocks. Starts so good, runs great, and gots some killer power. Sounds like the motor is not even working hard untill over 5k. After 5k it just sounds pissed off. The headers and Gibson tips are so quiet. until I hit the sencondaries. I got even more complements on how good and clean it sounds. I did get on the throttle bit, not WOT yet. The boat likes the power. I felt the hull lifting and pickin up some speed. I think next trip out I am gonna get a GPS on the thing.
    This tunnel can handle the Havasu chop great. I would never go on a big weekend, but this past weekend was perfect.
    Fuel consuption is not bad either. I went from the channel to steamboat to the sandbar and back to the channel and used 13 gallons. That is with some high speed cruising, (about 5k) with a few bursts. The best felling is when cruising aobut 3600 and hitting the thottle for a few seconds. It pulls as hard as my 18' Southwind did.
    I do think I need an inducer though. I have to feather the throttle when gettin on plane fast. Likes to cavitate. Will a "AA" imp help this?
    Anyway, Thanks HFD for a heck of a build and to Westech for some nice turnkey tuning.

Squirtin Thunder
    Didn't Victor help you out too ?

RivrKD
    Dan,
    Sounds like a great weekend.
    I installed a large in take grate on mine and that seemed to take care of it.

Danhercules
    Didn't Victor help you out too ?
    Your right, Vic helped me with the alt bracket and few other odds and ends. Nuckin futs helped me install and plumb the motor. Sorry guys.
    I was just sayin that HFD built a killer motor. Exactly what I wanted. Westech tuned it perfect too. No soot on my transum from idleing though the channel. No pops or hickups.

LakesOnly
    Big thanks again to HFD
    This motor rocks. Starts so good, runs great, and gots some killer power. Sounds like the motor is not even working hard untill over 5k. After 5k it just sounds pissed off. The headers and Gibson tips are so quiet. until I hit the sencondaries. I got even more complements on how good and clean it sounds. I did get on the throttle bit, not WOT yet. The boat likes the power. I felt the hull lifting and pickin up some speed. I think next trip out I am gonna get a GPS on the thing.
    Anyway, Thanks HFD for a heck of a build and to Westech for some nice turnkey tuning.Thanks Herc. :redface:
    LO

flat broke
    Dan,
    If the impeller you have now is letting the motor spin to it's peak power or wherever you and Paul want it to be at WOT, go with the inducer over the AA. However, if the motor can basically spin the A faster than needed, perhaps look into an AA. With the HP you have on tap, I'd assume you're looking mag/bronze or stainless impeller.
    Also if I remember correctly that boat orriginally had some big power in it. If that's the case, the underwater hardware (plate, shoe, loader) might be oriented for whatever that motor did. If there is blocker in loader that can cause what you are describing, and different amounts of close off on the shoe could do the same thing. With Tommy gone, you might talk to Big John at Ultra for input on hardware specific to that boat and your power. If I recall, John had/has a 21 with a stout mill and might be able to offer some assistance.
    Glad to hear you're stoked with the boat. I'm ordering up gel this week and hope to have my hoopty right side up pretty soon. By this time next year, hopefully we'll have had a couple trips out to the lower river together.
    Chris

Danhercules
    Dan,
    If the impeller you have now is letting the motor spin to it's peak power or wherever you and Paul want it to be at WOT, go with the inducer over the AA. However, if the motor can basically spin the A faster than needed, perhaps look into an AA. With the HP you have on tap, I'd assume you're looking mag/bronze or stainless impeller.
    Also if I remember correctly that boat orriginally had some big power in it. If that's the case, the underwater hardware (plate, shoe, loader) might be oriented for whatever that motor did. If there is blocker in loader that can cause what you are describing, and different amounts of close off on the shoe could do the same thing. With Tommy gone, you might talk to Big John at Ultra for input on hardware specific to that boat and your power. If I recall, John had/has a 21 with a stout mill and might be able to offer some assistance.
    Glad to hear you're stoked with the boat. I'm ordering up gel this week and hope to have my hoopty right side up pretty soon. By this time next year, hopefully we'll have had a couple trips out to the lower river together.
    Chris
    The RPM's are at 5950. Max HP is at 6400. I am down only 16 HP at 5950 from max. So yea, rpms are right there. I would like to see where a AA would put me. I cruise at 3500 to 4200. Would be nice to get that down a bit and still have the same max speed. Thus givin the AA a try.
    My shaft is cut for an inducer. Thats a no brianer. Gonna get that done.
    I might have to go talk to John, thats a good idea.

flat broke
    Dan,
    If your shaft is already cut for it and your pump is set back, trying out an inducer is pretty straight forward. If you want to borrow my inducer for your next trip, you're welcome to it. You'll probably need to re-shim the front clearance on your impeller, but that's a no brainer. The only catch is that I get it back sooner than later as I'll hopefully be needing it in the near future.
    Chris

Danhercules
    Dan,
    If your shaft is already cut for it and your pump is set back, trying out an inducer is pretty straight forward. If you want to borrow my inducer for your next trip, you're welcome to it. You'll probably need to re-shim the front clearance on your impeller, but that's a no brainer. The only catch is that I get it back sooner than later as I'll hopefully be needing it in the near future.
    Chris
    I would be a fool to not to take you up on that!!!