Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concrete guys...what do u think

a catered life
    starting to get some estimates for some work we wont done and had three guys come out....were going to pull up our wooden patio and have a slab poured it a 18x20 slab of concrete....two guys were about the same at $2,400 and the third guy was about $3,000. then we ask my neighbor to come over and price it and he says $1400. i have seen his work (awesome) a few times he did some of the new home work a few blocks away and he did the other neighbors front patio about 2 months ago (freaking awesome)....what do you guys think? go with the neighbor or get more estimates

socalmoney
    It would suck to have to take your neighbor to court if it didn't work out but it is half the price and you have seen his work. I say use him. Pay him 25% to get started and the rest when he is done. If it sucks or he doesn't complete the job you still have $1050 to give to the next guy.

Trailer Park Casanova
    It would suck to have to take your neighbor to court if it didn't work out but it is half the price and you have seen his work. I say use him. Pay him 25% to get started and the rest when he is done. If it sucks or he doesn't complete the job you still have $1050 to give to the next guy.
    Yeah, good take.

phebus
    If you've seen his work and it's good, I'd ask him when he could start.

Mandelon
    The neighbor is less cuz he probably has no overhead. You know, those pesky things that a contractor has.......like a license or insurance or an office......:idea:
    The going rate for flatwork is $5 to $8 a foot depending on prep work and finish you want... so $2400 is right in there.
    Is the neighbor gonna demo the deck too?

superdave013
    The neighbor is less cuz he probably has no overhead. You know, those pesky things that a contractor has.......like a license or insurance or an office......:idea:
    The going rate for flatwork is $5 to $8 a foot depending on prep work and finish you want... so $2400 is right in there.
    and rent the big dumpster? that's over 400 bucks right there.

YeLLowBoaT
    or he could have all those things and is just not paying his taxs... which is very common. chances are you are right and hes is not licensed...
    you know its kind of funny, a few months back I took the paper, opened it up... went to the work section... the desided to check a few of the CL numbers there...I picked 5 at random. only one of the 5 I tried was valid. all the others were some one elses or susspended.

redneckcharlie
    It could just be he's trying to be a good neighbor and help you out. There are still people out there that try to treat their neighbors decently. Flat work here is $4.50, can't imagine paying 5-8, guess thats just the difference in the states and markets. $6.50-7 here is foundation. I'm a licensed and insured GC, and have seen tons of "licensed and insured contractors" that do work that my dog could do better. If you've seen what he does, and his reputation is good, you seem to be in good hands. Its funny how people always find a negative with someone that under prices someone else. Just my 02, good luck with your project.

Surmike
    Redneck ha ha ha :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes:

Dave C
    shiat ... this is Kalefornia... add 25% that goes straight to the states stupid bureaucracy....
    It could just be he's trying to be a good neighbor and help you out. There are still people out there that try to treat their neighbors decently. Flat work here is $4.50, can't imagine paying 5-8, guess thats just the difference in the states and markets. $6.50-7 here is foundation. I'm a licensed and insured GC, and have seen tons of "licensed and insured contractors" that do work that my dog could do better. If you've seen what he does, and his reputation is good, you seem to be in good hands. Its funny how people always find a negative with someone that under prices someone else. Just my 02, good luck with your project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast