Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Outboards

HavasuDreamin'
    Question on Yamaha outboards and repairs. Possibly looking into purchasing a used Stoker Tunnel that has a Yamaha 225 on it. Not sure what year just yet as I haven't made contact with the seller, but I have a couple of preliminary concerns that I would like user feedback on. My questions are:
    1 - are these good/reliable motors
    2 - do they respond well to hop up mod's
    3 - most important, is there a reputable high performance Yamaha Shop in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.
    Thanks for all the help! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

snappertapper
    they are good reliable motors and they should respond well to mods and i dont know of any yamaha performance shops in that areaquestions please email me at bigfish1229@aol.com

usedhiperfprops
    They are very good reliable outboards and start and run good. They DO NOT respond as well to hop ups as merc does and there is very little available for them aftermarket. The only place to go for aftermarket Yamie stuff is www.hydrotecmarine.com (http://www.hydrotecmarine.com) They work as good as the will get stock so don't waste a lot of money besides things like nose cone and low water pick up. You can easily disconnect the rev limiter by sniping one wire on the back of the block in that black plastic box. The biggest thing a miss about my Yamaha is the ease of starting compared to my Merc 2.5 With my Yamaha it took just a flick of the key warm or cold motor.
    barryb@ndak.net

cavey lavey
    I AGREE EXTREMLY RELIABLE MOTORS GOOD ELECTRONICS AND THEY START WRITE UP, BUT THEY DONT REV. LIKE A MERC. AND THEN WHAT DOES.

snappertapper
    a johnson revs like a merc

HavasuDreamin'
    I'm callin' BS on OMC's reving like a Merc. No offense Snapper, maybe yours does, but a stock HO OMC will not rev like a stock Merc 2.5. In fact, what does the manual say. I know a 2.5 Merc's optimum rpm is 7500. What is it for a stock HO OMC?
    Is there a high po Yamaha shop in LA?
    [This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited April 09, 2002).]

snappertapper
    well anyone who runs stock omc's in racing ohas no business in it to start with and yes mine will rev like a merc

cavey lavey
    hey hd snap is an exeption to the rule, but put the same mone he has in his omc into a merc. and see what happens. sorry, snapper but hd was ony using the 260. he didnt even used the 280 crusing at 7800 rpm. ouch.

HavasuBarney
    I run all Mercury but there are some VERY bad ass, high reving OMC's out there.
    Come by speed alley talking that OMC stuff, there might be one or two that will change your mind. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

snappertapper
    i will agree that mercs are bad ass motors but the truth is i dont have very much money in mine because i do all of my work myself from start to finish, there is a guy down the street from me that races 3 cyl johnsons and he makes them runn 11,000+ rpm's by runing a special intake made for v-6 carbs and other mods as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast