Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any electricians out there?

DRMCAT
    I have tested and reset every GFI plug in on my property, it has not helped so far.

HMF'er
    Did you only pay half your electric bill last month?

TCHB
    It could be the power coming into the house before the meter. Do you have underground lines or overhead.
    1. If underground
    One of the llines could be grounded with insulation breakdown. Call Edison and they will check it out.
    2. Overhead
    Same problem before the meter breakdown in insulation.
    You are loosing power to one side only. I bet it is the incoming line.

Phat Matt
    I would just build a salad made of a mountain of bacon and call it a day.

WishIknew
    How many things actually dont work???

rrrr
    I just ran a test on all the plugs on the circuit in the garage and they have no power. I must have lost a neutral. When I first moved in 5 years ago, I ran a junction box off of my garage light. I am now guessing my neutral came loose.
    Thanks for the help so far. Please keep it coming.
    You're probably correct.
    Do you know which circuit it is? If you don't, get a three prong tester as mentioned. It will identify plugs that have an energized hot but no neutral. If you have a meter, check for power between the hot and the ground, not the hot and neutral. When you find it, turn off the breaker and start physically checking the neutral connections in receptacle and switch boxes
    The j box you installed is a good place to start. Work your way along the circuit, starting at the junction closest to the distribution panel.
    Make sure you check the back of your receptacles if the neutral wires are plugged into the stripped wire openings instead of being landed on the screws. The friction retainer can become loose and allow the wire to escape.
    This has happened twice in a friend's house. It just takes a little time to find it.

DRMCAT
    Did you only pay half your electric bill last month? Very funny buddy. I am only working on a single income here.
    JK

DRMCAT
    It could be the power coming into the house before the meter. Do you have underground lines or overhead.
    1. If underground
    One of the llines could be grounded with insulation breakdown. Call Edison and they will check it out.
    2. Overhead
    Same problem before the meter breakdown in insulation.
    You are loosing power to one side only. I bet it is the incoming line.
    Thanks Tony. I have underground lines, and it just started two days ago. they worked fine prior. The switches have the back light, and it also no longer lights up. I definately have no power coming into the line. I am guessing I lost the neutral at the junction box. I am going out to check my neutrals at the box. If they are tight and not browned, I will check the breaker panel neutrals. Then I will check the junction box I had installed a few years back.
    SAy Hi to Joyce for us. Did you buy that Spectre yet?

DRMCAT
    You're probably correct.
    Do you know which circuit it is? If you don't, get a three prong tester as mentioned. It will identify plugs that have an energized hot but no neutral. If you have a meter, check for power between the hot and the ground, not the hot and neutral. When you find it, turn off the breaker and start physically checking the neutral connections in receptacle and switch boxes
    The j box you installed is a good place to start. Work your way along the circuit, starting at the junction closest to the distribution panel.
    Make sure you check the back of your receptacles if the neutral wires are plugged into the stripped wire openings instead of being landed on the screws. The friction retainer can become loose and allow the wire to escape.
    This has happened twice in a friend's house. It just takes a little time to find it.
    Will a two rpong tester work on the switches like it does on teh plugs?

WishIknew
    THe problem is most likely in the 1st thing that doesnt work nearest the panel and not in the panel unless someone was in there messing around and you should use a tester with leads to test a switich

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast