Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powerboat photo chopper crash

Froggystyle
    Bob didn't hit the helo during the shoot. It did get impacted after the accident though from what it looks like by debris.
    My understanding of the accident at this point from folks who were there is that the helo just dropped like a rock while filming in front of the boat. I understand the Bob yanked the boat hard to keep from hitting the helo, probably saved Mark's life in the process and is really lucky to have avoided getting hurt from what it sounds like.
    I knew Tom Newby and know Mark Watters. I did not know the videographer, but was scheduled to have him shoot the boat next week at the evaluations, which are now postponed.
    Hats off to Bob and the model for both great response during the accident and quickly doing whatever they could to revive the guys. They likely saved Mark.
    We will be thinking about Tom for a long time. He was a great guy, a friend to all who knew him and one of the best boat photographers I have ever seen. He will be hugely missed by the community, and we can only hope that Mark has a full recovery and gets back in the game.
    I was at Teague Custom Marine yesterday about 1 hour after we all found out the news and the whole place is shaken. What was nice to see was the dozens of phone calls that came in from all ends of the industry checking to make sure that Bob was alright.
    Everyone is reading these threads, so let's keep the important things in focus here and not let the tone devolve if possible.

JB in so cal
    The lone survivor is married to a local KABC tv reporter.

slink
    Mark is a contract/civilian pilot for our airship (helicopter) here at Corona PD. Super nice guy. Lot of prayers being said in the last two days.

H20 Toie
    It is so sad
    I just met Tom this year
    RIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12