Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for going to Baja 1000 for the 1st time

2Driver
    We are planning on taking an RV with some friends to see the Baja 1000 in November this year. (Been meaning to do this for a long time) We've never been and aren't sure where to go to see decent action and still be safe and not be in too much of a crowd?
    Thanks.

Lightning
    It depends if you want to see the start or see the action as it whizzes past you. The start is cool, but very crowded. You may want to go to San Felipe (assuming the course if going through that part this year) and check out some of the action down that way. Plus the bars and food situation is pretty mellow down there.

Havasu1986
    Paging BajaBigDog...your phone is ringing. BBD knows alot on this subject.

79 HUSTLER
    Take lots of guns and ammo, set boobietraps for all your stuff and drink lots of beer and have fun...

Mrs.Racer277
    Hide everything :devil:

dunaholic
    Here's my advice.......
    Don't go.

Baja Big Dog
    San Felipe is nice, but it more than likely wont go too close to the town, if you have a way to get out toe the track (jeep, quads, rhino etc) it would be the best place to watch and stay.
    This ia a rough map, it will change.http://bp3.blogger.com/_6d2J4H20AN8/...race+course+ma p.bmp
    otherwise it depends on how far you want to go down, the father down you go the scenery is better, but the racing thins out as the attrition rate is high.
    In a motor home if you are not familiar with the roads in Baja you will be a target, the chase guys are in there own little race, to get from one place to another, and although the racers have a speed limit on the highways the chase guys don't, and since the race is going to Cabo this year pit guys are going to be stretched pretty thin. (we run at over 120 MPH is some places), stupid, yes!
    No matter where yo go to watch, be advise if its a place you can get to that means the Mexicans will also be able to get there too, and the crowds at the road crossings are unbelievable, it is a show in its self to watch the locals standing 3 ft from a 7000 lb trophy truck missile going 100 MPH!! And waving at them!!!
    Also the further down you go, the roads get worse, and a large motor home could be a real E ticket ride, most people install bright orange tape on the mirrors so the truckers have something to aim at!!!
    So to answer your question, if it were me going to watch, I would go to Bay of L.A., or San Quintin, this place is beautiful, and yo could hook up and get some fishing in while your there, stay at the Old Mill if you call now, (800-479-7962) eat at Don Eddies next door. It is approx 225 miles from Ensenada.
    Its about 293 miles from Ensenada to Bay of L.A. turnoff, and another 40 or so miles to town.
    Crowds...forget about it, this is the most exciting thing to happen in Mexico all year, and the locals come out in force....
    Now the fun stuff....DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT STAY IN OR AROUND ENSENADA BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE RACE. PERIOD. The crime rate in that town in unreal, to the extent many teems are not going for fear of getting there shit ripped off, we will only stay in one place, the San Nicolas, because they have 24 hour guards (year round) and we have no problems there. Needless to say this also applies to TJ and all area between the two.
    Jokenly the gun issue was mentined, I know we laugh, but I have to be an ass about it, DO NOT TAKE ANY GUNS, OR ANYTING THAT LOOKS LIKE A GUN, OR ANY AMMO OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE AMMO INTO MEXICO!! Yes, this includes those redntck belt buckles with the bullets on them, and of course DO NOT TAKE ANY DRUGS INTO MEXICO!!THERE IS PLENTY ENOUGH DOWN THERE lol
    Take Cingular, they work most places, Verizon is spotty. Rent a sat phone if you need to get in touch with any one in the states (not Globalstar). CB's work, but good luck with the local traffic.
    WOW, I think IM done, I need a nap!!!

PaPaG
    San Felipe is nice, but it more than likely wont go too close to the town, if you have a way to get out toe the track (jeep, quads, rhino etc) it would be the best place to watch and stay.
    This ia a rough map, it will change.http://bp3.blogger.com/_6d2J4H20AN8/...race+course+ma p.bmp
    otherwise it depends on how far you want to go down, the father down you go the scenery is better, but the racing thins out as the attrition rate is high.
    In a motor home if you are not familiar with the roads in Baja you will be a target, the chase guys are in there own little race, to get from one place to another, and although the racers have a speed limit on the highways the chase guys don't, and since the race is going to Cabo this year pit guys are going to be stretched pretty thin. (we run at over 120 MPH is some places), stupid, yes!
    No matter where yo go to watch, be advise if its a place you can get to that means the Mexicans will also be able to get there too, and the crowds at the road crossings are unbelievable, it is a show in its self to watch the locals standing 3 ft from a 7000 lb trophy truck missile going 100 MPH!! And waving at them!!!
    Also the further down you go, the roads get worse, and a large motor home could be a real E ticket ride, most people install bright orange tape on the mirrors so the truckers have something to aim at!!!
    So to answer your question, if it were me going to watch, I would go to Bay of L.A., or San Quintin, this place is beautiful, and yo could hook up and get some fishing in while your there, stay at the Old Mill if you call now, (800-479-7962) eat at Don Eddies next door. It is approx 225 miles from Ensenada.
    Its about 293 miles from Ensenada to Bay of L.A. turnoff, and another 40 or so miles to town.
    Crowds...forget about it, this is the most exciting thing to happen in Mexico all year, and the locals come out in force....
    Now the fun stuff....DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT STAY IN OR AROUND ENSENADA BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE RACE. PERIOD. The crime rate in that town in unreal, to the extent many teems are not going for fear of getting there shit ripped off, we will only stay in one place, the San Nicolas, because they have 24 hour guards (year round) and we have no problems there. Needless to say this also applies to TJ and all area between the two.
    Jokenly the gun issue was mentined, I know we laugh, but I have to be an ass about it, DO NOT TAKE ANY GUNS, OR ANYTING THAT LOOKS LIKE A GUN, OR ANY AMMO OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE AMMO INTO MEXICO!! Yes, this includes those redntck belt buckles with the bullets on them, and of course DO NOT TAKE ANY DRUGS INTO MEXICO!!THERE IS PLENTY ENOUGH DOWN THERE lol
    Take Cingular, they work most places, Verizon is spotty. Rent a sat phone if you need to get in touch with any one in the states (not Globalstar). CB's work, but good luck with the local traffic.
    WOW, I think IM done, I need a nap!!!
    A Nap? YOU need a vacation after that post...

Baja Big Dog
    A Nap? YOU need a vacation after that post...
    No shit.....LOL

whiteworks
    take a scanner, so you can monitor race communicatons.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast