Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reno Air Races

spectratoad
    Well I know there are a few of you on here that attend them or follow the action and they are going on right now. Started yesterday. I love this time of year when they fly over the house and I can hear them race during the day.
    So far it seems to have been a tough year. About an hour ago an aircraft went down during a race I think I heard. Lost one yesterday also. He was doing some T&T at the end of the day. The pilot yesterday didn't make it, not sure about the crash today.
    They say it all part of the sport and that may be true but sad nonetheless. I pray for strength for their families.

Sleek-Jet
    What class was the airplane the crashed today running??
    Unlimited, T6, Jet, Formula 1???

spectratoad
    Yesterday
    Pilot Dies in Crash at Reno Air Races
    1 day ago
    RENO, Nev. (AP) — A biplane stalled shortly after takeoff and crashed, killing the pilot during a practice run at the Reno National Championship Air Races.
    The plane, a white RP-5 with red and blue trimming, appeared to have engine trouble shortly before it went down Tuesday evening at Stead Airport, said Mike Houghton, president and chief executive officer of the National Championship Air Races.
    "It appeared there was smoke and fire. The engine stalled out," he said.
    Houghton said the plane crashed 25 to 30 yards from a runway.
    Qualifying heats for the air races were expected to begin as scheduled Wednesday.
    Today
    http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7072053

SMFRiverRat
    I just heard that they have been canceled. Anybody hear anything?
    Sounds like one of the jet class AC.
    http://www.kcra.com/news/14110291/detail.html

Sleek-Jet
    L39 is a jet...
    2 fatals in the same weekend... that's tragic, no matter the sport...

skyskier
    I've been wanting to ask about you avatar.............a p-38? Is Lefty Gardner still flying one at Reno?

AirtimeLavey
    Sad to hear about these incidents. Always wanted to go to those races. Guess I'll have to wait another year. I am going to see the Red Bull races in S.D. w/e after next. Looking forward to that. Those guys are insane.

Sleek-Jet
    I've been wanting to ask about you avatar.............a p-38? Is Lefty Gardner still flying one at Reno?
    Yes...
    I don't think so... the airplane was involved in an off airport landing a few years ago, I don't think they've got it put back together again...

blueman
    Wow what a drag..... I was there yesterday...a pitts bi-plane nosed over while taxiing back from a race, minor damage and no injury....every thing else was smooth a silk..the jets flew near the end of the day..there was an army green P-38 in the pits. God speed to the pilots involved in the past days crashes.

spectratoad
    I just heard that they have been canceled. Anybody hear anything?
    Sounds like one of the jet class AC.
    http://www.kcra.com/news/14110291/detail.html
    I don't think they cancelled. I heard a formula race start around 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast