Thread: msd 6A

bryan73southwind
    hey guys got a 427 in a 19 ft southwind how much will a msd 6a help it??

IMPATIENT 1
    hey guys got a 427 in a 19 ft southwind how much will a msd 6a help it??
    not much, but it will start easier and have just a tad better throttle response.you'd notice it more if your 427 was 13 to1 :devil: but a small compression motor doesn't necessarily need 1. another good thing @ msd boxes is they'll fire a wet plug, say if you got water in your fuel
    if your still rockin an hei dist., then go ahead and upgrade to msd stuff, you will feel the difference between a msd system and hei

bryan73southwind
    yea im not sure of the compresion in the motor i just got this boat not too long ago and just trying to get it rite for me.. it had a mallory hyfire in it but i changed the distributer too a msd billet hei and coil to the msd blaster 2.. and my boat is still a bitch to start and keep running ????confused!

SmokinLowriderSS
    yea im not sure of the compresion in the motor i just got this boat not too long ago and just trying to get it rite for me.. it had a mallory hyfire in it but i changed the distributer too a msd billet hei and coil to the msd blaster 2.. and my boat is still a bitch to start and keep running ????confused!
    Then something is out of adjustment, and a box will NOT cure that.
    It WILL successfully make you $250 to $400 poorer tho, and add bling. :idea:
    I put in a MSD Pro Billet Marine dist, Blaster 2 coil, and the super-low resistance wires, and my 454 runs mighty sweetly, starts with a flick of the key (no throttle needed once warmed up), idles 830RPM (with a .565" lift 280* camshaft), is once again as reliable as a brick. It even starts easier now COLD than it did with the orriginal stock setup, whch was points.
    What is your initial timing set at?
    What is your advance curve looking like?
    What is your carburetion mixtures looking like?
    Your trouble may not be ignition.:idea:

ck7684
    I love the MSD boxes, but it sounds like you have something wrong that should be fixed first. The box wont cure an existing problem...

Check your ignition switch, make sure you have 12 volts to the ingnition while cranking. I've had a few switches go flakey over the years, causing the same issue as you have.