Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check Your Loader for Cracks!!!

drysumpjet
    A broken loader will ruin your day and more.
    It may be good to check your loader for cracks, and the tightness and integrity of the loader screws. To help spot cracks, an idea is to paint the loader white or other light color that contrasts the rust from a hairline crack.

Ken F
    Great advise! I just got through putting mine back in after inspection.
    There was a guy killed last year in Oklahoma on a sunday afternoon when his loader came apart.
    Check 'em!
    Ken F

For sure that can ruin your day, and even cause great bodily harm! Check over your hardware as if it's a race boat when your running over 70's, the life you save my be your own.

Mike D..
    I pulled my loader out at the beginning of the year to do some fine tunning on the shoe. I used 4 stainless bolts to hold it in, when I pulled them out I noticed that all 4 of the bolts had started to distort, started bending at the head of the bolts. I now use grade 8 for fear that the stainless heads may break off. I also tap on grate to see if it is cracked, I have had a cracked loader also. I too know someone who had a bad crash from a loader coming apart in the jet, instant stop

W.O.T
    I pulled my loader out at the beginning of the year to do some fine tunning on the shoe. I used 4 stainless bolts to hold it in, when I pulled them out I noticed that all 4 of the bolts had started to distort, started bending at the head of the bolts. I now use grade 8 for fear that the stainless heads may break off. I also tap on grate to see if it is cracked, I have had a cracked loader also. I too know someone who had a bad crash from a loader coming apart in the jet, instant stop
    im worried now, i just put a berkely extreme loader on my boat. i used new screws with loctite. not sure what grade the screws were got them at lowes

im worried now, i just put a berkely extreme loader on my boat. i used new screws with loctite. not sure what grade the screws were got them at lowes
    You should bump up to 5/16 SS bolts at the minimum, for Race thru drill and lock nut with grade 8 hardware. If you thread into the aluminum with grade 8 there is a good chance you won't get it out again, so be sure to thru drill.

OverKill
    You should bump up to 5/16 SS bolts at the minimum, for Race thru drill and lock nut with grade 8 hardware. If you thread into the aluminum with grade 8 there is a good chance you won't get it out again, so be sure to thru drill.
    I know that feeling all to well. I pulled off the stock grate that had alen heads threaded to the aluminum. All the bolts were so soft they all striped and had to weld a nut to unscrew them.

W.O.T
    thanks for the advice, i think im going to drill them through im not going to put the safety of my passengers or myself on some cheap bolts.

drysumpjet
    I know everybody has a personal preference for these but I like the Torx Head black-oxide flathead style as they don't strip out as easily as the allen heads. I get mine from McMaster-Carr, part # 94414A588. Note your bolt length need may not be correct for this part number, depending on your intake.
    The only minus with using Torx heads is if your loader scoops cover the back bolts, you will need an extended T-40 torx bit; McMaster has those too.

Ken F
    Yes, I've got the Allen-head flat head grade 8's. You want to be sure to really dope them up with anti-seize when you put them through the aluminum intake to improve the possibility of getting them back out!
    Ken F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast