Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat in a ToyBox?

FingerTight
    Anyone tried building a small dolly / trailer and pulling their boat up in a large toybox? Of course this really only applies to us "freeboard challenged" types, but I think I saw some of those drag boats set up like that...anyway, wanted to see if anyone was running this setup and their thoughts!

Riverkid
    Many circle race guys move their boats in enclosed trailers...

MudPumper
    A few guys have done it. Victorfb used to run a set up where he had a dolly trailer for his Rogers that he pulled into a toyhauler. Mounted a winch up front to load in and out. It can be done, just have to clear the sides.

Schiada Time
    Its cool cause you can haul the boat in it, get to where you are hanging and pull the boat out and sleep in the enclosed. Many drag and cricle boat racers do this.
    ST

victorfb
    yep, done it. actually not that bad as long as you are careful loading and unloading that you go slow and straight out. the racers use much lower trailers and its alot easier. for your average toy hauler the ramp is real steep and you either have to make an extention ramp, and or, raise the front of the trailer as high as possible. having a 102" wide body trailer helps. i dont think it would fit in a regular 8' wide.

FingerTight
    yep, done it. actually not that bad as long as you are careful loading and unloading that you go slow and straight out. the racers use much lower trailers and its alot easier. for your average toy hauler the ramp is real steep and you either have to make an extention ramp, and or, raise the front of the trailer as high as possible. having a 102" wide body trailer helps. i dont think it would fit in a regular 8' wide.
    Thanks for all the replies, Victor did you have the dolly custom made or is there a company that is manufacturing these? The extension ramp is a must for a standard toy hauler I would think. You don't happen to have any pix of the setup do you?
    Cheers,
    - Rick

victorfb
    hey Rick. i made the dolly trailer myself. i did have some pics of the trailer up in the spam section a while back when i put it up for sale. not sure if they are still up or not. inside the 5th wheel i mounted a 2500# winch that pulled the boat trailer into the toy hauler. i had to either find a small hill to back up to or a dip in the road to set the wheels of the 5r into to lower the ass end. or disconnect the 5r and raise it as high as it would go to be able to pull it in without a ramp extension. on the front of the dolly trailer i made a wheel set up that used 2 pnuematic wheel/tires that swiveled. the use of 2 tires intead of one helped relieve some of the preasure on the toy haulers floor by dispersing the weight a bit. i will go through my scattered pictures and see if i can find something useful for you, but i cant promise anything. my pictures are very unorganized right now. could be anywere..hahaha.

Lightning
    The one's I have seen use the fat low profile donut tires and are usually mounted under the boat as opposed to the boat squeezing between the fenders. Should make it easier to fit in a 86" trailer a little easier.

FingerTight
    great info guys, thanks! sounds like it takes some doin' once you get where you are going to pull the boat out. once it was out of the box i assume you just hooked it up to the tow vehicle and launched it, yea?

Fiat48
    Be sure the floor is heavy enough and add some bracing. Most toy hauler floors and bracing are not that good and not meant for that weight. You'll need a 102 wide. I wound up taking a car trailer and building living quarters in it. Much better deal...but a lot of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast