Thread: V-drive won't turn right

jimmysauter
    I just bought a 21.5' 1973 Campbell Daycruiser. For the most part it turns fine, however when I try to do ~ 15-20 mph tight turns (say after a skier falls) it will not turn right, or it will start the right turn, then when I hammer it, it just goes straight. Left turns are great.
    What I have noticed:
    Left Hand Rotation prop
    Rudder = off center to the left by 1" or 2"
    Trim tabs are kicked down a few degrees to prevent porposing, (electronic actuator is stuck, so they are manual)
    The outer edges of the trim tabs kick down over the last few inches, as if the two outside turnbuckles are extended more than the rest.
    Any thoughts?

Racey
    Does the boat have a fin????

obnoxious001
    You didn't state whether you checked to make sure all steering components are tight, or even what type steering you have. Better check cables, tiller arm, quadrant or whatever is in the boat.

Warp Factor
    By "left hand", do you mean that the prop spins clockwise viewed from the rear?
    If so, that's just what they do. Left turning circle boats have often driven off the engine snout to deal with that.
    There are sort-of some ways around it........see offset propshafts in other threads.
    Several factors in play. Thrust from the prop on an angled propshaft isn't symmetrical.
    Prop torque creates more hull drag on one side.
    Thrust and drag are slightly higher on the bottom of a prop. More ''traction" on the bottom causes it to walk sideways.
    On a conventional V-drive boat, it all adds up to a right turn under power. With yours, it's the opposite.
    You don't have a reverse rotation engine, do you?
    Just turn left to pick up those skiers.

ol guy
    The boat was built for a ski tow race deal back in the day and they,(like Nascar) only turn left. THe offset rudder is the main problem and then you get to play with plates to make it ride flat and straight. LUCK TO YOU. M

DeltaSigBoater
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...erRotation.jpg
    Left Hand Rotation = Prop turns Counter Clockwise when viewed from the rear.
    Right Hand Rotation = Prop turns Clockwise.
    With the prop spinning to the left, the hydrodynamic forces are going to push the boat to the right; this is where your left offset rudder comes into play. Only the rudder itself should be off set… Your steering system (and rudder) could be setup offset left, which could explain the hard time turning right!
    Check your steering system, & rudder, buy turning them all the way right & left noting the differences in rudder position. There should be a slightly bigger difference in rudder travel to the left vs. the right – you can note this when measure from a common reference point

VDRIVERACING
    I just bought a 21.5' 1973 Campbell Daycruiser. For the most part it turns fine, however when I try to do ~ 15-20 mph tight turns (say after a skier falls) it will not turn right, or it will start the right turn, then when I hammer it, it just goes straight. Left turns are great.
    What I have noticed:
    Left Hand Rotation prop
    Rudder = off center to the left by 1" or 2"
    Trim tabs are kicked down a few degrees to prevent porposing, (electronic actuator is stuck, so they are manual)
    The outer edges of the trim tabs kick down over the last few inches, as if the two outside turnbuckles are extended more than the rest.
    Any thoughts?
    I have a Raysoncraft cruiser, and it is very sensitive to cav plate pressure in turns. Just a touch too little, and it goes straight as if I did not have the rudder turned. When there is enough down force from the plate, it is setting the turning fins and chines into the water so they hook up. Then, it catches all the sudden and turns hard.
    I think either your steering gear is loose, or by not being able to run your plates down with the actuator, your fin is not catching the water. To test this without buying a new actuator first--although that would be a really good idea--adjust the plates down 1/4" and see if the turn problem is solved. If so, and I'm betting on it, you'll determine why there was an adjustable actuator there in the first place..

palhal
    The fin question hasn't been anwsered yet! A lot of those boats don't have fins.------PALHAL

thecampbellman
    jimmysauter,
    all campbells are left hand ratation props, and all of our era Campbells have the rudder offset to the left. its to make the prop shaft easier to remove and install... check to make sure your skegs are stright...not bent... also do you have full cavitation plates or trim tabs...Campbells came both ways...most from the 70's had plates not tabs... if you have trim tabs one may not be fully lifting
    my 20' with full plates turns to the right better than the left...but full power tight turns are not a problem. your 22 foot should handle them as well. try to look up a couple of guys here with much more campbell experience than me
    campbellcarl
    and
    kahnjob
    they both know much about our classics
    good luck
    andrew aka thecampbellman

jimmysauter
    Yeah I do have two fins under the boat. I adjusted the trim plates (they are full width) and the boat seems to work great now. The outer edges were kicked down over the last 6" for some reason, so I flattened them out and now it tucks in and turns hard both ways. The prop shaft broke after I got the steering fixed so I haven't gotten to play with the plates much more after the initial adjustment.