Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powdercoating Blues!

Riverat84
    Hey i sent my whole nozzle system in(from the droop back) all apart to these ppl in anaheim called 'powdercoat proffessionals' and said i wanted it sandblasted and coated bright gloss white...they called 2 days later saying that they powdered both of the arms(aggressor trim nozzle), and the aluminum gave off so much gas while baking, that it bubbled up so much and looked like shit...so they gave them all back to me all sandblasted and two arms coated at no charge...nice of them!...so do u guys know of anywhere that can coat the rest w/out the metal giving off that gas? or is that just how it is w/ powdercoating? thanx...hit me w/ some replies before i rattlecan and clearcoat it or take it to a body shop...
    Reid

FuelInMyVeins82
    Hey i sent my whole nozzle system in(from the droop back) all apart to these ppl in anaheim called 'powdercoat proffessionals' and said i wanted it sandblasted and coated bright gloss white...they called 2 days later saying that they powdered both of the arms(aggressor trim nozzle), and the aluminum gave off so much gas while baking, that it bubbled up so much and looked like shit...so they gave them all back to me all sandblasted and two arms coated at no charge...nice of them!...so do u guys know of anywhere that can coat the rest w/out the metal giving off that gas? or is that just how it is w/ powdercoating? thanx...hit me w/ some replies before i rattlecan and clearcoat it or take it to a body shop...
    Reid
    Talk to Jeff over at Embee they are located in Santa Ana and do great work.

mondorally
    Specialized in Huntington Beach did everything on my Exile. Mostly steel but the oil tank is aluminum.
    http://www.specializedcoating.com/

Riverat84
    thanx guys...

Sanger Rat here on the boards does very nice power coating work.

1968Droptop
    Since they're already blasted, you may ask a body shop about painting them. A buddy did his entire pump in a metalic charcol grey. Looks incredible !!! He used Imron, which is what semi trucks and planes are painted with. Durable ass stuff, just food for thought b/4 you bust out that rattle can :sqeyes:.

McIntyrelocal
    endless powdercoating, corona not as close as embee but very high quality and reasonable, 951-520-9992, ask for Steele, did all my motor plates, center supports old pump parts came out perfect.

hondo454
    It's called out gassing. This only occurs with porous materials such as cast. It can easily be avoided by baking the parts once before coating them. This out gasses them and gets most of the impurities out so when you do coat them they don't bubble up. Ammonia and steel wool prep will also help with aluminum.

GAWnCA
    thanx guys...
    Hi RiverRat,
    There are a lot of shops that claim they can powder coat but forget that pre-heating the part stops the out-gassing. The alloy of the aluminum holds gases which need to be bled off. IF this was a Berkeley pump, that may not be an issue. Then I would say they over heated the oven and fried the coating or left it in too long. May have been that they didn't take the time to clean the part before coating. Go by word of mouth and go where the best results are touted by others. Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.
    Greg

GAWnCA
    It's called out gassing. This only occurs with porous materials such as cast. It can easily be avoided by baking the parts once before coating them. This out gasses them and gets most of the impurities out so when you do coat them they don't bubble up. Ammonia and steel wool prep will also help with aluminum.
    Hondo, You and I are on the same page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast