Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Court of Hot Boat opinion ruling needed

MADDOG355
    I have a friend that works for a bail bondsmen. I last spoke with him about 2 months ago, And when I called him he said he was out with his exwife and said he would call me later. Well about 2 weeks later him and his boss (who I also know) comes out and picks up my cousin for missing a court date. For the record my cousin is reciving SSI for a mental defect, And just forgot the date.
    My first issue with this is they knew all they had to do was pick up the phone and say "He missed his court date can you bring him up here?" and his father or I would have had him there before they hung up the phone, And they know this. He has lived here all his life, all his family is here and he don't need a warrent screwing up his SSI. So running was out of the question.
    2nd my "friend" and his boss stopped at a store on the way to get him and they say me there, And my friend hid in the van untill I left the store. (I saw his boss in the parking lot and was told as soon as I cleared the lot my friend jumped out of the van.) When they got to the house my friend ran around to cover the back door like he would run .
    3rd My friend finally called me back, About a month after I called him. But the day after my cousin got out of jail :idea: . I was not here and he left a message but I have not returned his call yet (it has been a few weeks) and I am still knda pissed about the way it all went down.
    As a side note I understand he is back with the exwife and for the record she don't like me for shit. I have not said a bad word about her and when they first split he woud ask me for advice and my response was "you have to do what makes you happy, It don't matter what someone else thinks of her. You are the one that has to live with it". But he did get drunk at my place alot .
    So am I way off base here?? I really feel like he screwed his friends trying to make a buck. (they sent my cousin a bill for $500.00 The judge set a court date to discuss the fee but talked like they would be lucky to get $150.00

DMOORE
    I didn't see anything in your post that would show me this guy is your friend. You know the saying, with friends like that, who needs...........
    Darrell.

suckin&pumpin
    confront him with what you know he may have been feeling guilty, maybe he could not do things different for some reason you dont know.If he is truly a friend give him a chance to explain himself.

BadKachina
    Kind of a weasel move by your friend. That being said, when someone is out on bond or bail, and you miss a court date, they don't usually call to let you know they're coming for you. Police also don't call to let you know they're serving a warrant, if they did people would run or try to fight back. It's in their best interests and yours and their safety to come at you hard before you can do something stupid.

MADDOG355
    Kind of a weasel move by your friend. That being said, when someone is out on bond or bail, and you miss a court date, they don't usually call to let you know they're coming for you. Police also don't call to let you know they're serving a warrant, if they did people would run or try to fight back. It's in their best interests and yours and their safety to come at you hard before you can do something stupid.
    Funny you should say that, The day after they picked him up he got a letter from the court stating he had 48hrs to turn himself in.
    Just for the record this was over a $37.00 bad check.

Boatcop
    I may be on the wrong (right) side of the law here, but the bondsman would be out the amount of the bond for your cousin not showing up in court.
    These guys deal with all kinds of stories every day. "I forgot." "I couldn't get a ride." "My wife was sick." "My dog died." You name it they've heard it.
    If he missed court, the warrant was already issued, so that's nothing your friend could do anything about.
    You said he works for a bondsman. That means he's an employee. And his employer told him, "So and so missed court. Go pick him up."
    What's he supposed to do? Tell him. "No way, man. That's my friend's cousin. Go get him yourself."
    The bail trade is like the Mob, there's friendship and then there's business. Don't take it personally.

MADDOG355
    I may be on the wrong (right) side of the law here, but the bondsman would be out the amount of the bond for your cousin not showing up in court.
    These guys deal with all kinds of stories every day. "I forgot." "I couldn't get a ride." "My wife was sick." "My dog died." You name it they've heard it.
    If he missed court, the warrant was already issued, so that's nothing your friend could do anything about.
    You said he works for a bondsman. That means he's an employee. And his employer told him, "So and so missed court. Go pick him up."
    What's he supposed to do? Tell him. "No way, man. That's my friend's cousin. Go get him yourself."
    The bail trade is like the Mob, there's friendship and then there's business. Don't take it personally.
    Boatcop, I understand your point, But they knew him. I am not talking about recognize one another. I mean the bondsmen has known him sence like the 3rd grade. They have partied together. They knew he was not a flight risk, or danger to anyone.
    And we thought that my cousin and my friend were friends also, atleast it seemed that way 4 months ago.
    That was just part of the issue anyway.

Nord
    biz is biz

QuickJet
    So it's OK for your cousin to screw your friend out of the bond but it's not OK for your friend to do his job when your cousin is on the receiving end of it?
    Doesn't make sense.
    Your "Friend" was put in a f ucked up position by your cousin. Stay out of the business side of it and just be his friend.

DMOORE
    A "friend" would have just called and made sure he appeared. It's amazing what people think is ok.
    Darrell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast