Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who knows about College Grants

Run_em_Hard
    Want to look into getting college grants for my wife. I belive she is into her first semester as a Jr. Where are good places to find out about this? We have just been paying out of pocket for everything and I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

totenhosen
    School financial aid office. Start off with filling out a FAFSA form. Going to have to wait to get any cash most likely until next quarter/semester.

uvindex
    There are about a million grants available. First place to look is simply search her school's web site. (Many grants are specific to certain majors, for example.) Eligibility for grants can depend on a multitude of factors, for example: her major, demographics, income, goals, ethnicity, and many other things.
    There are also oddball grants out there (for example, for students with a particular family name, or with a "C" average).
    Good luck!

DeltaSigBoater
    Go to http://www.fafsa.edu.gov/
    Can’t really recall what it actually is/does, but 99.99% of all grants & scholarships require you to have that completed,
    Has she gone to the Financial Aid Office at school, if not she should!
    It's been a couple years since I had to do this, so I'm a tad rusty... since I had my tutition paid for, I always went after scholarships/grants that were CASH, so I could buy supplies throughout the semester as needed for my classes.
    If I remember anything else I'll post it.

XtrmWakeborder
    Fill out a Fafsa, it's really easy. If you have a kid, are married, or are over 24 you are pretty much good to go. If not, you're screwed.

Run_em_Hard
    Fill out a Fafsa, it's really easy. If you have a kid, are married, or are over 24 you are pretty much good to go. If not, you're screwed.
    Well she is 24 yo till January. But we are married. I know she has been turned down a couple times but that was before we got married.

uvindex
    Filling out a FAFSA is fine, but the original poster asked about GRANTS, not federal student aid (that's the FSA of FAFSA). A grant can be funded by anybody or anything. I can take $5000 and fund a grant at my local university for an electrical engineering major who has a GPA of less than 3.0, for example, and not care if the people who receive the grant are already millionaires.
    Grants and student loans are not the same thing.

totenhosen
    Filling out a FAFSA is fine, but the original poster asked about GRANTS, not federal student aid (that's the FSA of FAFSA). A grant can be funded by anybody or anything. I can take $5000 and fund a grant at my local university for an electrical engineering major who has a GPA of less than 3.0, for example, and not care if the people who receive the grant are already millionaires.

Pell Grant etc require FAFSA form. It's a start but no means an end to other grants.
    As mentioned by others and myself earlier first stop is the school financial aid office.

Run_em_Hard

I am curious about financial help in general. She paid out of pocket before we got married and now WE pay out of pocket.

Jbb
    College is waay overrated and expensive....not to mention hard........Carny school is the hot ticket these days!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast