Thread: need computer help

one of computers lost the ftp connection for the internet. how do i reconnect it? its on a dell dimension 4700:idea:

Rocket-J
    I don't know what that is. If it is anything like a DSL with a modem, then just shut everything down for a couple of minutes and start it up again. Al

al i have shut it down a number of times and it still does it. we have a developer that does all their billing on the internet and when we get to where we need to be is kicks us off the web. if you check the internet options and check the problem it says that the ftp connection did not work. beats the hell out of me what it is so i was hoping there was a programer on the board

bigq
    best way is a ftp client, but you can do it in a browser by typing ftp://then the address.
    Does it automatically connect in the software you use?

from what i know it was all automatic. the lady would just go the site and log in with no problems that was up to 2 weeks ago. then she needed to do billing again and could not get on from her terminal.

HotDogz
    A word of caution...
    Make sure your developer is really trying to utilize the File Transfer Protocol (ftp) and if so, you do need to have an ftp client installed on the one machine transferring to another machine running the ftp service as host. Otherwise you may have a virus trying to establish a connection to the internet for the purpose of harvesting files.

bigq
    from what i know it was all automatic. the lady would just go the site and log in with no problems that was up to 2 weeks ago. then she needed to do billing again and could not get on from her terminal.
    It should tell the reason for why you can't connect, password changed?

tucson_boat_guy
    Slotracer,
    PM me what is going on here and I will help you.
    I will need to know the setup what she is trying to do and where she is trying to connect to. What OS is on the source and destination.
    There are also some tools that we can use so i can watch what is going on.
    let me know.

got it to work. seems that the adobe reader had 21/2 updates on it and the 1/2 of update messed it up and would not allow it to hook up. somehow she must have shut down on a update and messed it up. kind of like getting the updte notice at 4:50 p.m. and shutting down at 4:55 p.m. to go home so it did not completely update but got stuck in the middle but acourse she did not do it:idea: .

tucson_boat_guy
    Glad it all worked out for you. PM me if you ever need help again.