Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Outboards slow?

MANIC MECHANIC
    I don't think so, I saw an outboard powered tunnel hull make a 141Mph 1/4 mile pass at Augusta last week. It had the smallest, sleekest lower unit I've ever seen. Definetly No nuetral or reverse, he was in gear when he started it off the holding rope. I was very impressed even though I have always been impressed by an outboards power to weight ratio. I am curious now,does anyone know, what is the world speed record for a single outboard powered boat? Tim

You Te
    Those are records for OBDA. The problem with OBDA is boats in each class MUST weight a certain amount and many boats must add weight to make a particular class.
    In short, the boats could run faster and quicker if it were not for the weight rule.
    Also, with the ODBA type start the ET's are slower.
    You Te

STV_Keith
    The speed record is in the high 170mph range for a single outboard powered boat. Back in the 80's I believe, done in a tunnel boat with a seriously modified Johnson V8 w/nitrous.

STV_Keith
    Here's a pic of it. And the record still stands today at 176.556mph.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/108176556mphrecordboat-med.jpg[/img]

HavasuDreamin'
    STV_Keith:
    done in a tunnel boat with a seriously modified Johnson V8 w/nitrous. Looks like a hydro.....but yes, that is the record holder..........to bad it has an OMC on the back.
    [ July 29, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Blown 472
    You cant beat the power to weight ratio, if I sell my jet I would consider an egg beater, since I am in the land of mercs.

MAXIMUS
    eek! eek! eek! jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop

You Te
    And that's the way it is Maximus when the hammer go down. jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop jawdrop :
    You Te

STV_Keith
    Not a hydro, but an elongated version of the F1 tunnel back in the day. Eggbeater all the way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast