Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Bullet/TPI Vol. 2.

kap
    A brief preface is required before the details and numbers are disclosed.
    Well the Howard Regatta was this past weekend and I was debating on whether to attend but decided it would be nice to attend and see a lot of custom Howards all in one place. However, I was still undecided and wavering on whether I was going to attend.
    Shortly thereafter, I received a call and an invitation from my engine builder asking if I would like to accompany him on some speed runs after the Regatta. I said absolutely, it would be a great reason to attend not to mention the comaraderie and boating between all the Howard owners. In any case the phone call was all it took for me to make my decision so we packed and rolled out for Havasu.
    Saturday morning Havasu had some rain and wind but it later cleared up nicely. The Howard Regatta started at Rotary Beach with lots of beautiful boats showing up despite the lack of cooperation from the weather. The plan for the speed runs was to meet up early Sunday in the a.m. when the water was calm and the air still crisp.
    The technical details are as follows:
    Boat:
    28 Howard Bullet Composite Model---Closed Bow---Color---Tangerine Orange
    Engine:
    Taylor Performance Inc.
    Drive:
    Max Machine Worx Drive
    Area:
    South Lake Havasu
    Temperature
    70-72 Degrees---Clear Skies, Sunny, slight breeze.
    Unfortunately, we ran out of prop seems a 34 lab is in order as the motor had plenty left in it but just need a bigger prop. If you consider installing a bigger prop along with some colder temperatures the numbers above would be much higher.
    This 28 HOWARD BULLET AND TAYLOR PERFORMANCE motor combination is in my words a certified "Cat Killer". The roll on acceleration is mind boggling and quite impressive. I honestly, was unaccustomed to such blink of the eye midrange acceleration---80 to 105 in mere seconds. I guess thats what monster power does when you lean on it ever so slightly .
    Which brings me to the handling which in it's own right was equally impressive. A 28 footer that handles like a slot car. When most boats (V-Bottoms in 28ft range) are faltering, chine walking or are a hand full to drive at such high speeds--- this Bullet provided stability,comfort and confidence at triple digit speeds. The boat also tracked straight at high speed and did not exhibit any ill handling characteristics.
    The experience was a complete rush of adrenaline---the kind of heart pumping, skip a beat, ear to ear--- green smily face type of feeling . What an awesome conclusion to a great weekend . Glad I was fortunate enough to be the wingman on that day.
    Thanks! again to TPI for the invite .
    Very truly yours,
    KAP
    P.S. To Howard Custom Boats we had a great time at the Regatta and made a lot of new friends .

BLOWN HOWARD
    Funny you use the term CAT KILLER i have had that name in the back of my head for a few yrs now. and was going to be the name of my BULLET if money was no option!!!!!!

kap
    Well I haven't seen it yet on a Howard---but it elicited some grins from Gary he liked the term and he has the boat to--- back up the claim to the name.
    KAP

BLOWN HOWARD
    Only reason you havent seen it on a HOWARD yet is cause i cant afford a BULLET with 1200HP some day though

GoCiggie31
    A Unfortunately, we ran out of prop seems a 34 lab is in order as the motor had plenty left in it but just need a bigger prop. .
    wow, congrats. that is great.
    Those Bullets are beautiful and with the power you have , it sounds like you have achieved your goal (so far ).
    what size tabs you running (if you are) at at those WOT speeds AND are they (tabs) being used for any stabilization (ie chine walk) at the WOT runs?
    Thanks and be safe with her :-)

GoCiggie31
    forgot to ask, are you bringing up that 'ROCKET' to the radar runs in northern california in a couple weeks?
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164803
    Love to see that machine show some cats how its done in a v-bottom
    thanks for sharing
    be safe

phebus
    You need to keeep it relative, and compare apples to apples. Fantastic performing vee with an awesome TPI engine, but I have a feeling if you put that same power plant in a cat, you might have your ass handed to you.

kap
    Phebus:
    If that same powerplant is put in a Cat you no doubt would get a lot higher numbers. I say cat killer because most high performance cat owners rely on their advantage in hull dynamics until a v-bottom walks away from them.
    Then it's the classic "what the hell does that guy have in that boat" look .
    GoCiggie31:
    Clarification, is needed I was the wingman/co-pilot on that boat. The owner of that boat is Mr. Gary Taylor formerly known on ***boat as TPI. The boat is set-up perfectly and the driver knows the sweet spots to get the most out of the combination. [Note:---That's called knowing your boat and a lot of seat time.]
    I have always wanted to come up to Discovery Bay their is a certain Skater I want to see run up their and I know the owner. Claims his boat is capable of speeds into the 148-155MPH range it would be worth the gas/trip to see it run in the Delta.
    Appreciate the invite and kind words .
    KAP

what size tabs you running (if you are) at at those WOT speeds AND are they (tabs) being used for any stabilization (ie chine walk) at the WOT runs?
    I couldn't make the regatta this year but I have ridden in the "Great Pumpkin" up to 110MPH and Gary never touched the tabs. I would be surprised if Gary used them (Dana HP-900). Not pride, just usually not needed. He does use them pulling his kids in their tube. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...20/383143m.JPG
    Congrats Gary! Whish I could've been there!
    -----Rob

acatitude
    114 is a damn good number regardless cat or V, specially when you pull your kids with the boat also..... But then again it is a HOWARD
    excellence is routine

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast