Thread: Bravo transom assemblies

79schiada
    What is the big advantage of using an HP transom assembly over a standard type? Is an Imco worth the $$$ over a mercury product? I'm only going to be running a 383, so does it matter much? Big reason is I found a HP pull off that is nearly new for the same $ as a standard assembly. Thanks

deeee
    Why dont you just just buy the mercruiser package. Its alot easier then trying to hunt down everything. It might cost you more in the end if you buy everything indiviually.

BDMar
    For your application you don't need the HP gimbal. The main difference is the gimbal ring. Most of the HP gimbal rings dont use the elect trim sender and limit switches & came set up for the mechanical indicators.

79schiada
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll probably just hunt down the 383 package deal and call it done!

spectras only
    The bellhousing will break before the ring , and only if you hit a submerged object like a rock or deadhead :idea: It's designed to break away rather than tear the transom .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/broken%20bellhousing

Sweet Addiction
    Ouch!!

BDMar
    The bellhousings are not designed to break away. Mercruiser does not design anything to "fail". When a drive hits something in the water the way it will break wherever it is stressed the most from the impact.
    Under "normal" driving conditions the gimbal ring will fail first. That is why the HP gimbal ring is stronger.

spectras only
    The bellhousings are not designed to break away. Mercruiser does not design anything to "fail".
    Mercruiser could have fooled me . It's a pretty weak part IMHO
    Could make it even weaker by drilling a hole in it to hook up a drive shower like some people do . Flame away
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Img_1294.jpg
    Footnote , Volvo admits there is an issue , even with a more stout bronze unit .
    Increased safety
    We now come to what looks like the IPS's Achilles heel: what happens if you hit an underwater obstruction. As you might expect, Volvo have given this aspect a great deal of thought. There are two entirely different scenarios: low speed contact with the bottom and a high-speed encounter with a submerged object.
    Touching the bottom at low speed shouldn't be a problem as the skeg on the bottom extends below the propellers. The subsequent vertical force is transmitted into the robust GRP mounting ring inside the hull and assuming the engines are put into neutral promptly, no damage should result.
    In the high-speed scenario, the leg and pod will shear off flush with the hull. The lower bearing carrier has been engineered specially to break at a point below the O-ring seal between the fixed and steerable parts of the drive. As the leg bends backwards, the vertical drive shaft simply pulls out of its spline. The inside of the transmission is now open to the ocean but no water can escape into the boat and the vital mounting joint between transmission and hull will remain not only intact but undamaged thanks to the energy absorption of the big twin O-rings.

BDMar
    I'm not going to flame you at all! Just trying to figure out how hitting an object hard enough to break the bellhousing makes it a weak part? If you hadn't hit something the bellhousing would still be fine. If you were to make the bellhousing indestructable the next week link would break.
    It's not reasonable to expect all parts automotive or marine to be indestructable. A bird can destroy a jet engine and destroy it. The skeg will break, the prop will loose an ear, the propshaft will twist, the trailer tire will go flat if you hit a curb just right, etc.
    The quote you posted is from Volvo not Merc. They are trying to address the intake of water when a catastrophic failure like yours happens and keep water from entering the boat. They are not adressing an issue from normal wear and tear.
    All I was saying is that you will not see a failure like your unless you hit something fairly hard. That is not normal wear and tear. EVERY part made has it's breaking point.

spectras only
    Just trying to figure out how hitting an object hard enough to break the bellhousing makes it a weak part? If you hadn't hit something the bellhousing would still be fine. All I was saying is that you will not see a failure like your unless you hit something fairly hard. That is not normal wear and tear. EVERY part made has it's breaking point.
    I agree with this . However the hat portion of the Bravo 1/X
    drive bellhousing cast should be built up a bit more . I have Mercruiser drives , because they came with the boat .If I built a boat from scratch today , it would have bronze Arnesons .This local dude can make chopsticks
    out of logs with his drives
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/28086234_2.jpg