Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03 cobra motor

sstjet
    Just an idea I wanted to throw out there and get some feedback on. I was thinking putting a 03 mustang cobra motor in a jetboat would be pretty cool. Possibily swapping the blower for a turbo. These motors are pretty bulletproof stock up to 1000hp in cars. What do you guys think?

George Pataki
    4.6 liter?
    I'd be interested in seeing that.

Bow Tie Omega
    Oh man, break out the popcorn All kidding aside, car motors and boat motors are different. Bearing clearances, valves, cam, exhaust, ignition, etc, all different. Now adding to it a computer management system? Not impossible, but alot of work...... But, I have always been a sucker for doing what people say is a waste of time or can not be done. If you are trying to be the fastest boat on the water, I would not do it personally unless you have alot of $$$ to throw at this project. But if you are just trying to be different and try something cool, I say go for it. I would appreciate the work alone that would be involved in such a venture. Just my two cents. Hope it works out and good luck

pw_Tony
    Does the 03 Cobra motor make enough power at a lower RPM? I could be wrong but I think peak torque is like 4500RPM and peak HP at 6000rpm

Placecraft Dragstar
    No replacement for displacement.

SmokinLowriderSS
    If you think you can get that 1,000 HP down to 6,000 RPM, go for it and impress everyone.
    4.6L!??!?!!??!!?
    "E" impeller cut???????
    I think that's a crappy idea, but, go for it. Somebody has to be the guinea pig for the new stuff to prove the bad ideas really ARE bad ideas. I might be wrong.

75 spectra V-drive
    I have an 03 cobra. Trust me the bottom end is not bullit proof to 1000 hp or even 700hp. my new set up has ported heads,studs throught,headers,larger heat exchanger,larger radiator,with a kenne bell running 10lbs . I now have what I think is a safe tune 526 rwhp,It does not make good power untill 3500 rpm. cool idea, but I dont think it would make a good boat motor. just my .02

VAMI
    I think youd have a huge headache and a empty wallet.There is a twin turbo nissan 4.5 or 4.6 on youtube that is BADAZZ.

AaronL
    No replacement for displacement.
    Boost replaces displacement pretty good in my opinion.
    Here's some info on a friend's car that I helped build all the turbo stuff (headers, intake, etc..):
    These are rear wheel dyno numbers (corrected) from a stock cube small block LS1 with twin t76's(camaro):
    12 psi and 75 shot 919rwhp 880rwtq
    He ran high 9's in a 3500lb car.
    These numbers were around 6,800 rpm. Pretty good torque #'s too. I wish I had the dyno sheet to see how low the numbers were down in the lower rpm's, but I don't.
    To me, the above numbers look like they would work pretty good with an A impeller. Maybe I'm wrong though...
    Go with twins for good looks!
    http://intakeelbows.com/ttls101.jpg
    http://intakeelbows.com/chadtt.jpg
    I say go for it and try to prove everyone wrong that is stuck in their old 'big block only' ways. It is always cool to see something out of the ordinary that kicks ass. Like everyone else that has posted so far, I have no personal experience trying something like this, so everything I have said is just an opinion (in other words, don't say I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, because I'm already aware of that).

ap67et10
    I have an 03 cobra. Trust me the bottom end is not bullit proof to 1000 hp or even 700hp. my new set up has ported heads,studs throught,headers,larger heat exchanger,larger radiator,with a kenne bell running 10lbs . I now have what I think is a safe tune 526 rwhp,It does not make good power untill 3500 rpm. cool idea, but I dont think it would make a good boat motor. just my .02
    just curious to know what happened to the original engine in your cobra? how did it blow up? (i'm assuming it did) what was the set up?
    i had a friend that also had an 03 cobra with exhaust, reconfigured engine management, port and polished factory blower with small pulley. 14lbs if i remember right. but thats it...nothing else and he chassis dynoed at 595 rwhp. from what i found out from him those things are basically bulletproof in the sense that if you supply the correct amount of timing fuel and boost the bottom ends will hold together up to around 1000hp. factory forged everything, h-beam rods...definately not your average stock factory engine.
    personally i think that would be a wicked set up! last time i checked a 1000hp is a 1000hp and you would be one of very few that could say you are packing it. somehow a 600hp bbc in a good hull can do 90-100 but a (probably lighter) 1000hp 4.6l efi overhead cam 32 valve....wait a minuite why is this not an awesome idea??? and why would anyone in there right mind say that it wouldn't run good or wouldn't be able to spank just about everyone out there? as long as you set the pump up right to be most efficient with the engines power bands your good to go. itd be sweet. probably have to fabricate a lot of parts ....a lot of parts, but if your up for that than go for it!
    whats stopping you?
    AP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast