Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Jet Drive repair - Ventura Area or Valley???

98Ultra
    Well, was on a local lake last Saturday when after about an 1-1/2 hours of cruising around, I noticed some major pump growling at idle and just off idle. Seemed to subside at about mid thottle. Opted to pull the boat out of the water but was still about 2-3 miles from the ramp.
    Once I pulled onto the trailer and into the lot, I unscrewed the access cover to the shaft. Everything looked clear, no obstructions - didn't suck anything up. But found if I grabbed the shaft, I could move the it fwd/aft about 1/2" - 3/4". I figured due to the growl sound and the movement, thrust bearing or worse. Hopefully the housing isnt worked and impeller not damaged - but again, I'm no jet drive mechanic and maybe/hopefully everything may not be that bad. I guess I'm just setting myself up mentally for the worst.
    So here is my issue. The dominator 12TD pump was just freshened up 50 hours ago. It's installed in a 98 Ultra LX w/GEN V 454 (advertised at 330HP) with no mods other than ignition system and pump with a Place Diverter, Droop, intake grate and small rudder. I have been using the special Hi-Tech Marine grease I was told to use since the jet was gone through last. To work the pump, the motor needs to be removed which just adds to the complexity of the repair.
    Shouldn't the drive last longer that 50 hours before a thrust bearing (or anything else) lets loose??? I really don't want to drive the 2 1/2" hours to Atacadero to the same outfit, to only have the thrust bearing grenade after 50 hours again (if that is what's got me here in the first place).
    Looked through Hot Boat mag and saw some places in Corona, Riverside - just don't know who to trust for both knowledge and for not raking me over the coals. There is a guy here in Ventura area, but last time he looked at the boat he pulled some jaw dropping (in a bad way) troubleshooting and I have vowed to never go to his shop again.
    So any recommendations? All thoughts are surely welcome! Willing to travel, but just need to know in which direction??? THX all!

RIVERTIME247
    Well, was on a local lake last Saturday when after about an 1-1/2 hours of cruising around, I noticed some major pump growling at idle and just off idle. Seemed to subside at about mid thottle. Opted to pull the boat out of the water but was still about 2-3 miles from the ramp.
    Once I pulled onto the trailer and into the lot, I unscrewed the access cover to the shaft. Everything looked clear, no obstructions - didn't suck anything up. But found if I grabbed the shaft, I could move the it fwd/aft about 1/2" - 3/4". I figured due to the growl sound and the movement, thrust bearing or worse. Hopefully the housing isnt worked and impeller not damaged - but again, I'm no jet drive mechanic and maybe/hopefully everything may not be that bad. I guess I'm just setting myself up mentally for the worst.
    So here is my issue. The dominator 12TD pump was just freshened up 50 hours ago. It's installed in a 98 Ultra LX w/GEN V 454 (advertised at 330HP) with no mods other than ignition system and pump with a Place Diverter, Droop, intake grate and small rudder. I have been using the special Hi-Tech Marine grease I was told to use since the jet was gone through last. To work the pump, the motor needs to be removed which just adds to the complexity of the repair.
    Shouldn't the drive last longer that 50 hours before a thrust bearing (or anything else) lets loose??? I really don't want to drive the 2 1/2" hours to Atacadero to the same outfit, to only have the thrust bearing grenade after 50 hours again (if that is what's got me here in the first place).
    Looked through Hot Boat mag and saw some places in Corona, Riverside - just don't know who to trust for both knowledge and for not raking me over the coals. There is a guy here in Ventura area, but last time he looked at the boat he pulled some jaw dropping (in a bad way) troubleshooting and I have vowed to never go to his shop again.
    So any recommendations? All thoughts are surely welcome! Willing to travel, but just need to know in which direction??? THX all!
    GS MARINE IS IN CORONA GREG SHOEMAKER 951 272-6060
    MPD IN ORANGE COUNTY JACK MCCLURE 949 651 2040
    BOTH HAVE WEB SITES

When choosing a pump bearing grease, be sure it's "EP" rated for extreme pressure, failure to do so will shorten the bearing life greatly.

Cas
    MPD IN ORANGE COUNTY JACK MCCLURE 949 651 2040
    Jack is arguably the best in the biz and will tell you exactly what's up.

SPECTRABRENT
    Call Jim Brock @ 818-890-1867. Jim is in the SF Valley.
    Brent

Maybe you should call the shop you had do it originally, I'm assuming it was Tom @ Jet Boat Performance, and I can tell you this, he's a straight shooter, I'm sure if it was something he did/didn't do, he'll make it right.
    $.02

n8dawg
    Try Benard Enterprises, Jim Benard is in Oxnard. Good guy. He's in the yellow pages under boats, or another real good guy is Tom at
    www.jetboatperformance.com
    I don't know about you but I would rather drive North on the 101 any day over south!

Pops@Aggressor
    I don't know about you but I would rather drive North on the 101 any day over south![/QUOTE]
    Gets too cold that way. Need to go south all the way to Baja! Hell In Mexico Give them Guy's two shooters and a Pipe Wrench and some 100 MPH Tape, and they can fix anything.

Jim Brock.

BigBlockBaja
    Ever think of trying to rebuild it yourself? There are allot of people on here that will walk you through it, plus tons on Internet knowledge out there.
    http://www.americanturbine.com/image...07_diagram.gif

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast