Thread: 150 Evinrude Rebuilders????

Froggystyle
    OK wackers... I have a tech question for you. One of my clients has a 150 Evinrude (White motor, 1997 vintage) that he smoked. I think it has a full complement of bad bearings, rings etc... I have no idea what caused it, just that it let go in three stages, the final stage being a total seizure. All were within 3 minutes of each other, and each resulting in a greater loss of power and rpm.
    Are these outboard motors disposable, or is there a guru on here that rebuilds them for a living? I think he is going to need at a minimum a full sleeve, ring, bearing and probably some rod and crank work as well.
    New is 12K for a 200. I told him to let me go to you guys and get some input first. I am also posting this in the general side.
    Thanks in advance,
    Wes

snappertapper
    Well these motors are rebuildable and are pretty reliable afterwards, but if it is as bad as you are saying i would say that he is looking at a minimum of $2500-3000. for that price you could probably buy a new powerhead. This is a carb engine i assume. If so I have a friend who has 2 1994 175's 25" shafts 1 running, 1 running but knocking, and a 1993 175 fast strike running but needs lower unit. He is looking for $3000 for all 3 of them. If he is interested email me at zachsvmax@comcast.net and i will get intouch wiht my friend. The only problem is that they must be picked up in south west florida.

snappertapper
    O yea one more thing, if it is a fuel injected engine from that year then it was probably lack of oil they had problems with those motors leening out.
    P.S. the carb power heads will bolt up.

HavasuDreamin'
    I'm a Merc. man wink , but from the sounds of it, I would say he might be looking at a new crank, rods, bearings, and pistons in addition to having all six cylinders resleeved. I would start disassembling it to see what needs to be done. It shouldn't be too hard to pull the manifold and inspect the internal components, then pull the heads and check the pistons and cylinders. If it were me, I would look into bolting a 200EFI powerhead onto the current midsection if possible. I would think that wouldn't be too tough for a 1997 vintage motor.
    The only one I would trust to rebuild and OMC is Al Stoker. You may want to talk to him on used motors/powerheads as well. Good Luck!

Froggystyle
    Where do you get a hold of Mr. Stoker?
    Wes

snappertapper
    There is a crank 6 pistons and bearings on ebay under outboard for this model motor if he is interested
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...598422&skip=50

Back To Havasu
    Al Stoker and his dad, John, can be found at John's Custom Marine in Stanton, Calif. (Orange County).

77charger
    Wes there is a guy in gardena-carson at ryan boats he is a friend of my boss.He does lots of omc work.Talk to ernie 310 324-6246.

HavasuDreamin'
    (714) 827-7920
    8437 Katella Ave.
    His web site is at the top of this page. Good Luck