Thread: cav plates on aquacraft how to set them

kostelacd69
    i had posted some thing last week about this and i i only got a couple of reply, wondering if any one can help, just trying to set cav plates on my 1970 aquacraft hear are the numbers,the numbers are plate lenght 5.5 inch, prop to plate 23 and a eight, v drive to transome 90 and a quater, the strut angle is 8 degrees, the plate only moves up and down 5/16 of an inch but i have to have the plates down to get the boat to stay down the engine is 27 and a half from transome to front of the front plate the motor is a ford fe 390 bored and storked to a 455 12 to 1 and is just over 500 hp and 580 ftlbs 29 gears and have tried 15 gears did the same thing and the prop is from rbr in cali 11.5 x 15 the botom of the boat is not that flat, at the very back it goes up alittle and the motor is set up for drag boat style

You only received a couple of responses because there is no 'carved in stone' formula for setting a plate. Every boat is different and will require you to set the plate for your particular setup. Start with a netural setting and work from there.

kostelacd69
    yeah thats what i figured but i didnt know if anyone had a starting point for me the boat like to act like a dophin and im tring to figure out why or what other people with aqua crafts did to get theirs to stay down thanks

GofastRacer
    Ok, since you didn't open up your PM's shoot me an e-mail with your number and a good time to call ya!... racer025@cox.net
    Art..

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Gofastracer can help you out but don't piss him off....
    He's a badass!!!
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga..._hotdogex4.jpg

biesemeyer34
    Go fast have you been working out? LOL ..Jimmy D.

GofastRacer
    Riiiiiiight!...

Rattle Can Lou
    Might I chime in here???? My boat (Wickens) is a flatbottom of similar design. I was listening to some people about plate set up and got myself and the boat all kindsa twisted. Boat has good HP...about 700. Got decent travel on the down...So I call Dave Sammons and he tells me..."Don't worry little short fat guy, we'll set that baby up at Needles". Now I was really twisted..not about the boat but the "short fat guy" comment. So I get over that and at Needles we take (and I'm not kidding) about five minutes we set the handle in the middle setting and we straight edge the botton with a 3' piece of aluminum. We set the plates dead even with the bottom of the boat and wouldn't ya know it...the boat hauls ass. Put the straight edge on the bottom right where you have a turnbuckle, level and I bet you are real close. Now, I am quite aware that most picutures of this ass kicken boat show it way up in the air...these pictures were taken a couple days later and when I got home I discovered the set screws had backed off on the turnbuckle eyes on the top rod. This allowed the plate to move up and down about 3/8th's of an inch. Therefore the boat got real loose. It was fun to drive that way but probably a little dangerous. With plate right the boat was nose up and rode very predictable....any further questions???? I didnt think so. By the way, don't use Anti-Seize on your set screws on the plate assy. I would highly recomend a Loctite type product....GOSH, I'm an Idiot!

kostelacd69
    so your boat has the handle in it then so when your hauling ass where do you have the plates and do you start off with them in a particlar place and work form there im just trying to see how people operate their plates if you leave them down or start with them down and then go up thanks

GofastRacer
    Handle keeps the plates at the proper riding attitude, you use the down pedal when you take off and you let off accordingly as the boat takes a set, if not your always on the down!..