Thread: Power baby, power....

boatsnblondes
    My favorite train...lash up a couple of these bad boys, give 'em a four car set, turn me loose....me, (can you see me?) at Elmo, Ca. 25 miles North of Bakersfield, earlier this year, taken by a freind....BTW, have a great day!!!
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1191422902

Jbb
    Good Lord.......er....sorry ....wrong thread...

bocco
    OK. We need some numbers. Top speed? 0-60? Total HP? How beer can it hold? You know. Important stuff.

uvindex
    OK. We need some numbers. Top speed? 0-60? Total HP? How beer can it hold? You know. Important stuff.Yeah. And does every locomotive have an engineer or can one guy operate all at once? How do the throttles and brakes get synchronized? If a locomotive isn't needed in a set, can it "coast" or is it always running when moving? Is there a head in these things? Is there an engine room that the engineer can walk into or is the engine only accessible from the outside? Just wonderin...

Sleek-Jet
    So you're saying you like to pull trains... :idea: :jawdrop:

bocco
    So you're saying you like to pull trains... :idea: :jawdrop:
    Yeah but that's cuz he gets to be first.

boatsnblondes
    OK. We need some numbers. Top speed? 0-60? Total HP? How beer can it hold? You know. Important stuff
    Top speed for them is 80, although the track is good for 90+ in most area's, and the train itself could do 110 if they did a few things to the tracks themselves...total HP is 3000 per unit, total of 6000 for the train...as for beer , there is a fridge in there, but we keep NA stuff, BUT, I can imagine about 5-10 six packs would do nicely in the fridge.....
    Yeah. And does every locomotive have an engineer or can one guy operate all at once? How do the throttles and brakes get synchronized? If a locomotive isn't needed in a set, can it "coast" or is it always running when moving? Is there a head in these things? Is there an engine room that the engineer can walk into or is the engine only accessible from the outside? Just wonderin...
    No, only one engineer is needed, both engines run the same, do the same job, if one is pulling hard, so is the other. There is a throttle, in the setup you see, both units are controlled by the same throttle, as well as brakes. As for coasting...units are usually on line unless the have a mechanical problem which keeps them from being able to perform, then they are shut down and dead in consist back to a mechanical shop. If the engine that goes down is a leader, and there is only one unit on the train, then you have a problem. There is a back door to the engine room, these units actually have two engines in them, a prime mover, which pulls the train, and a pony engine, which runs all the onboard systems, i.e. AC, lights, etc. Is basically is a generator. Oh, and BTW, never go near the gap between cars on these trains...the juice from those HEP cables will kill you if you were to slip and fall on them...

mobldj
    to much power for such little wieght,more braking power with the wabco brakes then needed,i know dynamic on the engines but the four cars could stop you as long as the hf shoes are good and the slack adjuster works,i had air systems,abd or abdw leaking like the titanic and the ball still stayed below the red line after a cot and s.dont miss rr work at all.
    look out for the derailers

boatsnblondes
    to much power for such little wieght,more braking power with the wabco brakes then needed,i know dynamic on the engines but the four cars could stop you as long as the hf shoes are good and the slack adjuster works,i had air systems,abd or abdw leaking like the titanic and the ball still stayed below the red line after a cot and s.dont miss rr work at all.
    look out for the derailers
    Actually, train uses blended brakes, dyno and air, to stop. No slack adjusters on cars, no slack at all. Train starts fast, stops on a dime, as it uses shoes, and antilock disk brakes to stop...I hit the end of platforms at 40, bring it to a nice easy stop before the end of the same platform, little over one train length to stop, LOTS of fun...passengers love it!!