Thread: bravo1 vs bravo 3

79 Howard
    I am considering moving to a outdrive, and was wondering the difference between bravo 1-2-3. My H.P should be about 450 to 700. I am just looking for info to decide what I want to move into considering a 21 to 22 foot boat.Right now I am looking at 496 to 502. I know this is a pretty wide spectrum but basically a nice little family boat that will run 70 or so. Any info would be appreciated

Jerrys59
    I am considering moving to a outdrive, and was wondering the difference between bravo 1-2-3. My H.P should be about 450 to 700. I am just looking for info to decide what I want to move into considering a 21 to 22 foot boat.Right now I am looking at 496 to 502. I know this is a pretty wide spectrum but basically a nice little family boat that will run 70 or so. Any info would be appreciatedI'm thinking Bravo 1 is your best bet.

pocketchange 22
    I agree also. Bravo 2 is a workhorse drive (diesels). Bravo 3 is a great drive also, you have the power to spin it, heard not to run much over 60-65. Proping it could get costly. With your set up, B 1 sounds like the way to go.
    I have a Pachanga 22 w/ BBC 502/ 572tq with a B 1 drive. extremely happy with set up, (although little overpowered) 24p bravo 1
    Although a B 3 in a cruiser will help on the low end getting on plane, I may be wrong on the mph too, don't quote me. When I was bulding mine I almost went w/ a B3. The twin props do look really cool hanging off the back.
    good luck.

79 Howard
    So is there a rule of thumb when to go to XR drive like up to 500 H.P.is a B1 and everything after that is X.R... It sounds like the 60 to 65 thing is heat in the shaft assembly or is it thrust from the prop that breaks the lower end?

Jerrys59
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...er.jpgQUOTE=79 Howard;2822432]So is there a rule of thumb when to go to XR drive like up to 500 H.P.is a B1 and everything after that is X.R... It sounds like the 60 to 65 thing is heat in the shaft assembly or is it thrust from the prop that breaks the lower end?[/QUOTE]
    Mine is a xr. I killed the upper gear box last spring. replaced it with all Max Machine goodies. I would think much over 500 hp you would want a xr.
    A lot depends how you drive your stuff. always easy getting on plane will
    save parts for sure. Big bucks to get that stuff rebuilt.

79 Howard
    Thanks Jerry; How did you lunch the top end on a xr drive?. It seems the bravo is pretty tender meaning you have to watch and make sure you don't fly the boat at any time with or without a rev limiter , seals seem to be a big deal so you don't contaminate the drive oil, and re-builds seem to the norm for a variety of reasons ,I thought a xr would handle 6 to 700 h.p.. so 21 ft. semi v could run 70 down the river

Jerrys59
    Thanks Jerry; How did you lunch the top end on a xr drive?. It seems the bravo is pretty tender meaning you have to watch and make sure you don't fly the boat at any time with or without a rev limiter , seals seem to be a big deal so you don't contaminate the drive oil, and re-builds seem to the norm for a variety of reasons ,I thought a xr would handle 6 to 700 h.p.. so 21 ft. semi v could run 70 down the river
    Mine had a lot of hours on it. I let it go just a little to long. I do use a rav
    limit chip on the msd. I'm right at 1000 hp so they just dont live forever.
    Just have to take care of them and try to be easy doing some things.
    I have a 26 foot cat. Motor is a 581/ 1471 with all the good stuff.

pocketchange 22
    I would imagine it's the thrust from the props, theretically, you'll have at least twice the strain.. Like I said don't quote me on the mph, thats what I was told.
    You probably can go quicker if you prop up, hull design, and have the power to spin it. May not want to spin much higher than 5000. In your case with a cruiser, a Bravo3 XZ, the torque of two props will help on starts, and handling.
    You can talk til your blue in the face, importantly its what you want, don't be afraid to try stuff. I

Run_em_Hard
    I ran a old style bravo with a 700+ hp blower motor on my 22' citation for 3 years untill I got an anchor rope wraped around my prop and tore shit all up. The citation is a real big 22' also. Depends alot on how you drive em. I wouldn't hesitate for a sec to put another bravo on it.

DMOORE
    The bravo 3 with the counter rotating prop is designed for good performance out of the hole, and efficient mid range cruising. It isn't a good choice for a hot rod with a good top end. Also some food for thought; you may want to see what a used Bravo 1, that is built by Machine works costs, compared to a new XR. A Machine works B1, is actually stronger than a stock XR.
    Darrell.