Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting Fluid

El Prosecutor
    I have heard the common old saw that starting fluid can damage your engine.
    Anybody know the facts on when/if it is OK to use it without causing damage, or what kind of damage it might cause?

Nucking futs
    If the engine wont start on its intended fuel there is a problem somewhere. but I have used it on all sorts of engines without damage except on 2 strokes, welded the rings together once.
    Good luck
    A little squirt goes along way.

Boatcop
    I've only used it on (4 stroke) engines when I'd just put on a new carb, or for some other reason to prime the fuel system. Just a quick squirt to get things moving. Dumping half a can while cranking the engine can wash away the oil film sealing the rings to the cylinders and cause excessive wear.
    And as Futs said, it will waste a 2 stroke, since it dilutes all the oil that lubricates the engine's inner workings.

it washes the lubricants off the cylinder walls, resulting in a dry start in the cylinders. It takes some time for the oil to warm and adhere to the cylinder walls agian. And don't for sure use it on diesel engines, that have glow plugs!
    Sleek

Works good to fire engines that have been flooded with gas from overzealous throttle pumping too. Just don't overdue it with the stuff.

Taylorman
    I used some on mine the other day when it was real cold out and would not start. Fired it right up. Just took a little bit.

Wally_Gator
    In reality it is meant to go in as a gas. If you are spraying so much in that it is hitting the cylinders as a liquid.. That is way too much...
    A quick shot in the air cleaner/ scoop should be enough.

Big Kahunaa
    i use carb cleaner

billet racing
    I have to use it to start my twin turbo motor for the first time at each outing. Fuel will just puddle in the turbos, and won't flow up hill through the inter cooler. A squirt with the throttle blades open, then let it evaporate before hitting the starter. Once its fired, it will stay running. With out it, my cold engine will never fire.
    Jerry

Liberator TJ1984
    WD-40 is best that I have found on gasoline or diesels that are stubbron to fire and you don't have to worry about blowing the damn thing up
    I have also used it on all sorts of 2 strokes with no problems , such as a chainsaw that has sat for awhile...
    and it lubricates as well

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast