Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.4 ltr running hot?

snappertapper
    i would think it is just fine.

gregg canavan
    hey guys...thanks for your opinions...as always its great to talk with other go fasters about boats...its finally spring and I've been waiting for this since last October, when I had that last 80 degree day on the ocean. I'll probably take 1/2 day off on thursday and get out there...See ya
    Gregg

Boat Racer
    Greg, just got in, been out of town since Monday... I agree, it should be, OK.
    Just keep it a little rich, you won't be disappointed.

gregg canavan
    hey guys...thanks for the input...I went out to the lake wednesday...ran perfect all afternoon. temps on all 3 nice and cool, water pressure at 15psi at 5500 rpm 69 mph...not bad for a 6000 lb boat. Sunday I'm going to the ocean, out of providence RI to point judith.Should be lots of open ocean out there. Hey, what do you think of changing head gaskets? do you think they should be changed periodically or only touch them when there is a problem? this boat is run in fresh and salt water. all 3 motors have less than 175 hrs on them and they all run perfect. should they be left alone and avoid opening them up? Thanks, Gregg

Boat Racer
    What we do and what the big time racers do...
    I change mine every couple years, my father hasn't change his in 5+ years.. He still has great running motor, I believe that as long as you're not running nitrous, then you are OK, on going every so many years.....
    The big time racers..
    I was told, by a guy that builds & races Mercs, to change'em every year.... But that would be 3 sets, every year, that would get $$$$$$$$... I recomend that you torque'em down, ever so often(and check your plugs)....
    JUST MY .02 CENTS WORTH!
    [ May 17, 2003, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Boat Racer ]

Shadow Crazy
    When the temp reaches 180*+ it is too hot. Running a restrictor plate instead of a stat may cause higher temp when at low speeds. I have to throttle up for a few seconds to cool it down.
    Run it for a bit then pull the plugs and look for the dreaded "milky" gack on your plugs. If you did any heat damage it will show up just like that. If you were able to put your hand in the water coming out of the motor,, you didnt cook anything. One thing you might want to do while you have the plugs out, look at the top of your pistons and make sure they are shiny (no carbon buildup). If they are black, get some head gaskets and a wire brush & clean em up. The plugs arc off the top of the pistons. Food For Thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12