Thread: Low water pickup

wideopen23
    What needs to be done to put on a low water pickup on a 1989 Evinrude XP 200?

Tom Brown
    How fast is your boat? I take it you don't want to go with a nose cone?

Boat Racer
    I'd go and send it to BOB's to have it and the nose cone added.....

Tom Brown
    Good call, BR.
    If he's doing less than 80, the cone will slow him down though. Maybe he's looking for a transom mounted pickup which can be had through Bob's too.

wideopen23
    I am running right around 70 72 right now. I am just curios about the water pick up if I go to a jack plate. Why would a nose cone slow me down?

wideopen23
    I was going to ask as well, it sounds like alot of you guys run water pressure gauges, what does it take to install one of these.....where does it hook up to etc.
    THanks

HavasuDreamin'
    wideopen23:
    I was going to ask as well, it sounds like alot of you guys run water pressure gauges, what does it take to install one of these.....where does it hook up to etc.
    THanks First, I would be surprised if the nose cone slows you down. Perhaps it is the Canadian installation technicians that f'd up Tom's.
    Water pressure guage should be simple. There should be a plug on the top side of your block that (a) either already has the fitting in it or (b) can be replaced with another plug with the water fitting in it.
    You take the water line and attach it to the fitting on the block and run it up to the guage and attach it there. It is real simple if your block has the fitting already.
    There is a slight chance the OMC's are different, but this is the way my Merc is.

Tom Brown
    wideopen23:
    I am running right around 70 72 right now. I am just curios about the water pick up if I go to a jack plate. Why would a nose cone slow me down? WO28, here's a thread I started on another forum last year before the season started. The thread is about welding a nose cone versus epoxy only installation but the info is there. There are some knowledgable people who respond.
    http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/...26;t=22;s t=10
    If you're going to jack your engine really high and run the propshaft in the vicinity of the pad, the cone will probably help your performance. If you're going to run your gear case submerged, it will hurt you under 80 mph. If you're not going to jack your engine really high you might want to just fill the top two water inlet holes with epoxy and see if that will let you jack high enough.
    -- Tom

wideopen23
    Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it.
    Does bobs have a web site?

Tom Brown