Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prototype on a Bravo XZ drive

Cat-n- Around
    A while back under one of my other user names (Thunderbutt,U.T.B.A.V-Drive Man or Chickenlips) I asked a question on how to vent the prop on the XZ drive to lift the boat on plan without driving back and forth to vent the prop. Because the X deminsion on this boat was put so low for a Brovo-3 drive. One of the board members sent me a picture of a 6-drive that had a fitting drilled into the cavation plate with a hose going out above the water line to pick up air for the prop too release. The cavation plate on the XZ drive isn't as big as the 6-drive so this it what I did. I made a plate that is out past the sides of the cavitation plate and drilled two holes, one on each side for a - 16 45 degree through hull fittings and put on hoses that reach above water line. I do have pictures but do not know how to post them, and it tells me I can not post attachments. New question, if this works and brings the boat up on plan, what is going to keep it from feeding it air all of the time and making the prop blow out. This is my first outdrive setup so I'm kinda of stupid on how the drive performs.

Cat-n- Around
    Here are the pictures. Thanks

BDMar
    The problem I see is the fittings are hanging so far below the anti-ventilation plate, they are going to distrub the water feeding the prop (on plane) and also I think they will create a huge rooster tail.
    The SSM VI drives are basically surface driving and at speed the vent tube is not dragging in the water as your will. I am not sure how your vents will work since that area is a high pressure water area, If you cut off the fittings you will have created the worlds largest shower heads spraying straight up...
    I think they might work as a vent while you are planing then turn into a water spout. (if the fittings were cut)
    I am very curious to find out how they work.

pocketchange 22
    Aren't the vent tubes, or tube centered after the prop??

BDMar
    Aren't the vent tubes, or tube centered after the prop??
    The vent tube on a SSM are in front (leading edge) of the prop. The propeller pulls the air in from the vent tube.

phebus
    I've heard of drive showers causing cavitation. That looks like it would really disturb the water leading to the prop.

Cat-n- Around
    The problem I see is the fittings are hanging so far below the anti-ventilation plate, they are going to distrub the water feeding the prop (on plane) and also I think they will create a huge rooster tail.
    The SSM VI drives are basically surface driving and at speed the vent tube is not dragging in the water as your will. I am not sure how your vents will work since that area is a high pressure water area, If you cut off the fittings you will have created the worlds largest shower heads spraying straight up...
    I think they might work as a vent while you are planing then turn into a water spout. (if the fittings were cut)
    I am very curious to find out how they work.
    BD, thanks for your input, you might be right. I had Hydromotive drill holes in the hub of the prop, but I was told that will only help when you have through hub exhaust. I have through transom exhaust. Is there a way I can force air through the out drive as if it was exhaust? I know I'm jumping through hoops trying to make the drive work. Once it is on plane it handels the boat well and it goes faster. I'm running out of good weather here so I have to get my ass in gear. Thanks again Jim

BadKachina
    BD, thanks for your input, you might be right. I had Hydromotive drill holes in the hub of the prop, but I was told that will only help when you have through hub exhaust. I have through transom exhaust. Is there a way I can force air through the out drive as if it was exhaust? I know I'm jumping through hoops trying to make the drive work. Once it is on plane it handels the boat well and it goes faster. I'm running out of good weather here so I have to get my ass in gear. Thanks again Jim
    If that's the case, I wonder what would happen if you removed the exhaust belows. Theoretically you could suck air through the drive that way. I'm not talking about removing the block-off plate from the inside, just the belows on the outside of the transom.

BDMar
    If that's the case, I wonder what would happen if you removed the exhaust belows. Theoretically you could suck air through the drive that way. I'm not talking about removing the block-off plate from the inside, just the belows on the outside of the transom.
    We do that on all the HP boats that run out of our shop. It will pull some air as they are getting on plane as soon as the exhaust tube has an air pocket from the boat moving forward. It is minimal but helps a little.
    What engine are you running? Why not a 2" or 3" shorter lower?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast