Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Neighbors Are A Costly Pain In The Ass Sometimes !

Cheap Thrills
    This is a long one please bear with me..........
    My neighbor has been after me to sell him my old truck all summer.
    1968 Chevy SWB Step Side , small rear window. rare for a 68 350/4sp.
    4.11 gear, period correct 6 lug, Slotted mags. Good Tires no rust semi straight nice old truck with alot of potential.
    I refused to sell it to him because it's an old truck and I would probably be the one that ended up working on it and I am so tired of working on vehicles.
    I've had this old truck for 15 years and it has been a great workhorse that has hauled anything I've put in or behind it. But it does have it's little quirks and since the guy isn't mechanically inclined I was really worried about selling it to him and told him so.
    So the other day I was up visiting , having a beer and were discussing a motor home down the road that he's interested in for 7k and we go look at it. and the subject comes up again about selling the truck to him. At this point I am ready to sell it to him just to shut him up, I give him a price of $2,100.00 drive it home. He kinda hem haws around about it like I was suppose to give him the damn thing for nothing. I knew of another truck down the road from the MoHo we were just looking at. Same year same short wheel base step side but worse shape at a car lot for $3,500 and took him to look at it.
    The paint is nicer but not by much, the bed is gutted no wood, rusty crap wheels, jerry rigged automatic trans, and the interior smells like rat piss and dead squirrels. :yuk:
    $2,100.00 is not a bad deal for mine for what it is. And he agrees. And I figure since he's looking a 7k MoHo he could afford my truck. He has a pull behind camper already and doesn't really need a MoHo. hence the reason for wanting my truck.
    The Very Next Day a different guy pulls up in the driveway and inquires about the truck. I told him about my neighbor wanting it and I had priced it to him for 2100. I could have sold it then and there to him but my neighbor was first in line and I couldn't sell it out from under him being the nice guy I am.
    So I shook the second guys hand and thanked him for stopping by.
    I emailed my neighbor that night and told him to come get the truck.
    He calls me on the phone the next day and tells me he's backing out saying he can't afford it right now, and not sure if and when he can swing it.
    I said WHAT ? Do you realize you just cost me 2Gs I could have sold it yesterday but I was saving it for you since you were so persistent about buying it all summer. WERE DONE Click! I hang up mad as hell.
    This isn't the first time I have gone out of my way for a neighbor/friend only to get the shit end of the stick.
    So where do you guys draw the line with friends and money?
    Do any of you ever go out of your way for a neighbor/friend and feel like you've been taken advantage of or "Played". I'm so tired of this kind of crap.
    I keep my friend list short just because of a history of this type thing.
    It seems like everyone I come in contact with takes advantage of my giving nature.
    I'm ready to say FTW.
    Rant Over.
    T.

OCMerrill
    Kick your neighbor in the junk, paint a pink stripe on it and call it good.
    Seriously though I hate it when anyone talks smack and especially a neighbor. What a big waste of time. Those trucks are actually worth a little money even in an un-restored state. Get a copy of Hemmings and run an add.
    My .02 (only worth .005 though)

Cheap Thrills
    Kick your neighbor in the junk, paint a pink stripe on it and call it good.
    Pink Stripe I wanted to kick em in the junk at the time of the phone call and I would have if he had been face to face with me. I know the old truck would sell if I placed an add. I wasn't really interested in selling it but being a little short on cash and going in for surgery in a couple weeks
    (another story and no not major) I saw it as a way to make a little dough to help pay for that mess.
    I just hate trying to do a good deed and end up looking/feeling like a fool.
    I should write a frickin book.
    I do a lot of computer work for the guy, and his room mate mostly for free,
    I figured that karma would come back around but nooooo.. Seems Karma schmarma never goes all the way around the block. maybe I should run the other way. :idea:
    T.

OCMerrill
    Seems Karma schmarma never goes all the way around the block. maybe I should run the other way. :idea:
    T.
    Remember it's a when you least expect it...there it will be.
    Now go home and get some rest. (Assuming your at work as you usually are)

Cheap Thrills
    Remember it's a when you least expect it...there it will be.
    Now go home and get some rest. (Assuming your at work as you usually are)
    I work at home so I never really get away from it. Maybe that's my problem.:idea: It N E V E R ENDS
    T.

chub
    no such thing as karma for me.
    What comes around goes around is what my daddy taught me.
    Harvey that showed with 21hundo cash woulda walked with the truck after a courtesy call then and thier.

hoolign
    Check your PM's:idea:

Cheap Thrills
    Check your PM's:idea:
    Thanks !
    Back atcha
    T

Nord
    This is going to sound bad, but you should have taken the other parties info down. Its not sold until you have cash in hand. Lesson learned. We've all made this same error in one way or another. Put a "For Sale" sign on it with the disclosure of "buyer backed out" on it in big letters. I assure you, the first guy will come back.

Cheap Thrills
    This is going to sound bad, but you should have taken the other parties info down. Its not sold until you have cash in hand. Lesson learned. We've all made this same error in one way or another. Put a "For Sale" sign on it with the disclosure of "buyer backed out" on it in big letters. I assure you, the first guy will come back.
    Thanks Nord,
    No It didn't sound bad because it's something I already know.
    It's more my own damn fault than his and I'm as mad at myself as I am at him.
    You think after 40 + :idea: years I would have learned that one by now. Cash Talks BS walks. But yet I keep playing the "Nice Guy" and I'm always finishing last. Glutton for punishment I guess.
    I know who the other guy works for but not sure which region. several stores to canvas. If I hang a sign on it, it would be gone in no time. it's just dealing with the tire kickers, dreamers and bargain hunters I don't like dealing with.
    Thanks Again buddy.
    T.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast