Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive the boat before you buy it. Lesson Learned

Rocknpalms
    Lesson learned the hard way. I purchased a boat with on 76 hours on it and thought the engine would be in great shape. Boat started fine on the trailer. Took it out to Elsinore AFTER I purchased it and while it seems to run OK and have good power, (4800 rpm and 57 mph '96 20' Carrera Eclipes) it had tons of blow by.
    The T valve for the header had a broken spring. No big deal right. Well aparently the last time the owner ran the boat he got water in two cylinders, caused by the bad T valve and left it sit for a year or two.
    I brought the boat to a shop for some upgrades and they did a leak down test to see why I had so much blowby. Yes you guested it two pistons with rusted and stuck rings a slight groove in the same two cylinders.
    Look like a good time for the new forged crank, rods and pistons. Ok why stop heads, cam, intake, rockers, carb........................
    DO NOT PURCHASE WITH OUT A TEST RUN OR MECHANIC CHECK.
    :cry: :yuk:

Sorry to hear of your doom, it means one thing! BIGGER....BADDER....FASTER!
    Sleek

BOOGEYMAN
    I always do a compression or leak down test before I buy an engine from anyone....Well just chaulk it up as a lesson learned and build bigger and better!!!

moneysucker
    I have taken it like a champ a few times. These days, I just assume the motor and pump need to be gone through when I get it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck on this. You probably do some upgrades so you can really spank your brother.
    Cy

HammerDown
    I purchased this 1983 21 Daytona with out a test drive...and because so, I negotiated the sale for pennys on the dollar :rollside: .
    Turns out there was about 75' of ski rope around the pump shaft. The owner thought something serious was wrong with it and just let it sit. Sometimes the (chance) pays off
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C00046-med.jpg

El Prosecutor
    I purchased this 1983 21 Daytona with out a test drive...and because so, I negotiated the sale for pennys on the dollar :rollside: .
    Turns out there was about 75' of ski rope around the pump shaft. The owner thought something serious was wrong with it and just let it sit. Sometimes the (chance) pays off
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C00046-med.jpg
    I waited about a month after purchase before installing the ski rope around the shaft. It went on very securely though.

Danhercules
    OUCH. :cry:

Rocknpalms
    Dan thanks for the cry face. I will know more the next few days on how far I will be taking this motor.
    They are pulling the engine today to remove the pan and two pistons. If the rusting of the cylinders can not be removed by a simple honning then we will totally disassemble the engine to give it a once over and put in the good stuff. Kinda hope that is the case since we are this far along allready.

Rooster
    Good luck! I feel your pain... I had to replace a motor soon after I bought my jet and supposedly it was one season old too... It sucked a valve..
    Good luck, and if there is anything I can share with you from my experience is make sure they dont try and put a high rpm motor in there. It may make 650hp at 6800rpm but you sure as hell aint gunna be spinning an A impeller at that! SO GO FOR TORQUE AND TOP HP AROUND 5K SPINNING AN AA IMPELLER

FLEA DIDDY
    Lesson learned the hard way. I purchased a boat with on 76 hours on it and thought the engine would be in great shape. Boat started fine on the trailer. Took it out to Elsinore AFTER I purchased it and while it seems to run OK and have good power, (4800 rpm and 57 mph '96 20' Carrera Eclipes) it had tons of blow by.
    The T valve for the header had a broken spring. No big deal right. Well aparently the last time the owner ran the boat he got water in two cylinders, caused by the bad T valve and left it sit for a year or two.
    I brought the boat to a shop for some upgrades and they did a leak down test to see why I had so much blowby. Yes you guested it two pistons with rusted and stuck rings a slight groove in the same two cylinders.
    Look like a good time for the new forged crank, rods and pistons. Ok why stop heads, cam, intake, rockers, carb........................
    DO NOT PURCHASE WITH OUT A TEST RUN OR MECHANIC CHECK.
    :cry: :yuk: It's a USED BOAT, Uh kinda comes with the territory. I bought a boat that has a build sheet for the motor, HA ****IN DING guess what? only thing in that motor that was on the build sheet was a crane cam. I did'nt pay an ass load for the boat, I wheeled and dealed and got it for what I though was a good deal, I took the motor down after a few passes and 2 cylinders where fubared and 18.00 sealed power cast pistons. I don't expect anymore than what it is, USED. just my .02

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast