Thread: 5.7 Volvo penta ECM

skuba
    I need some help. I have a 1999 5.7 volvo penta, I blew head gasket last year. I had a local machine shop repair the heads and the block. While we had the engine apart I decided to try and increase the horsepower. I had the machinist put in bigger valves when he fixed the head. We also put in Kelly racing pistons, a comp cam, double timing sprocket and chain, and high volume oil pump.
    Maxium horsepower with old cam was @ 5000 rpms
    Maxium horsepower with new cam should be @ 5200 rpms
    I am running same prop.
    The machinist said I should be somewhere around 360 horsepower. The factory rating was 280 horsepower. When I bought the boat new in 1999, I could have (and probably should have) ordered it with the 7.4 liter. There should be no issues with the boat design and horsepower. I have a Fourwinns 220 Horizon.
    The engine started on the first crank. The boat preformed about the same as before the blown gasket. After a day on the water the back of the boat was covered with a black film.
    I took the boat to a performance shop and was told that all my sensors are fine, engine is runnning rich, I need to reprogram my ECM. He said he could program what I needed, but Volvo has a password protecting the program. I contacted Volvo and was told that under no circumstance do they custom any ECM's.
    Does anyone know how I can find an ECM that will work?

cfm
    I only know shops that can program Mercruiser ECu's. If you can't find someone to program yours than you have two options:'
    1) Aftermarket programmable ECU (1k or more)
    2) Go to carburetor

skuba
    Who sells aftermarket ECM's for volvo? My gauges are all in one piece in the dash if one gauge goes out I will have to replace whole thing. Going to a carburator would mean changing all gauges. It might be worth the money to get the ECM.

cfm
    Are you sure about the ECM and guage thing ? I've never seen this by removing ECM and going carbed, but I've only done this to Merc's...not Volvo's.
    And, if your ECM does, by remote chance, drive your guages you will not find an aftermaket programmable ECM that does.
    I bet your ECM does not control the guages.

tbanzer
    What gauges do you have that uses the ecm for a signal?

oboy
    I haven't had any problems with my guages on my 2000 carlson since I pulled out my volvo 350 and replaced it with a new ZZ383 with card. (I haven't verified my tach since the change out). My motor needed to be rebuilt right after I purchased the used boat due to a screwed up starter motor tapping job messed up my block.
    I could have just put a new block on the 350 and used the fuel injection, but I wanted more horespower and I couldn't find any options for the volvo motors. No ECU upgrades or reprograming as far I as could find.

rpm2
    If they can reprogram Merc, they can do Volvo, its just a matter of having the right parameters. Unless someone has done pretty much the same thing, its off to the dyno for some mapping.

oldselmn8tr
    Something does not sound right you upped the horsepower and now you are rich and have poor performance? I could see possibly rich at idle if the cam was large enough that it dropped manifold vacuum at an idle to affect the map sensor. If its rich at cruise then you have something else thats wrong, usually you have to go to a reprogrammed ecu because your lean at cruise or WOT. Am I makin sense hear?