Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: winterization

Bayon-M/C
    i wish it was 90 degrees but its not! looking for help to properly winterize my jet boat. being this is my first jet boat,i dont want to mess up.i live in portland,or. and it gets around 25-32degrees in the winter.

my bbc i just pull 2 brass plugs one in each side of the motor drains the water from within the block. if you have logs with snails they will need to be drained also(can't remember how it's been a while). it wouldn't hurt to pull your hoses at there "low point" if that makes sense.

ck7684
    Pull off each hose end and pour in a lot of antifreeze. Use the RV stuff as it's safe for the environment. Pull the spark plugs out and spray in some fogging oil too

ck you will have to drain the block to make room for the antifreeze right? i've never used antifreeze and i doubt he would need it at 25-30* with a drained block.i'm curious now to hear if most others use antifreeze.

77Woodbridge
    It gets below zero here so I use RV antifreeze. What I do is;
    1) Buy enough Sta-bil to treat 50 gallons (~3 big bottles) and add to tanks
    2) Fill tanks 3/4 full
    3) Head to ramp and run boat on the trailer long enough to get motor warm and Sta-bil in carb
    4) Spray 1 can of engine fogging oil down carb while motor is running (sprayed enough when white smoke starts coming from exhaust)
    5) Head home and change oil
    6) Disconnect water lines at the "T" coming off pump and Pour in the RV antifreeze until it comes out both pipes (~2 gallons). I then run it through the bowl too.
    7) Pull batteries and put in laudry room
    I heard somewhere to spray the top of the motor and wire block with silicone to prevent corrosion, so I'm adding that this year.
    So far, so good.

Dominator Scott
    With the Sanger I drain the block by pulling the plugs and then run some water from the hose just to get rid of any sand that might be in it from the summer. Then I just shut off the dump valve and pour RV antifreeze straight down the T-stat housing and disconnect the water lines from the headers so any water that might be in there can drain out over the winter. It sits in a heated garage next to my 32 Dominator so I could probably get away with not winterizing either one of them but it's cheap insurance in case of a power outage or something. Been living in this house for 6 years now and the garage has yet to even get below freezing,even with the heat off.

oldbuck40
    i have tried this for the past couple of years and it was passed on to me from one of the old boating Guru's! and works well with jets and outdrive's.
    first get a small 12v bilge pump add extra wire and clips to hook to your battery, and attach a section of garden hose, i used 8 to 10 ft. with a male hose fitting.
    side note: i have a garden hose fitting right off the pump and reason for that is useing the male end on the hose it also fits the earmuffs for the outdrive.
    ok get a five gallon bucket place the pump in bucket. fill with antifreeze,,hook up hose to water supply line from pump.
    hook the clips to the battery and position bucket under your return dump to recycle back in engine. if ya have logs your gonna need 3 buckets.
    Crank the boat with the 12v pump running and fluid circulating,,after it gets warm fogg the engine and shut her off.
    same deal with outdrives but i have to use a 55 gallon drum cut in half or something similar to catch the antifreeze!
    yea yea i know im gonna get razzed and people say they dont need to winterize!
    but have you ever installed a brand new aluminum intake,,,or say some real high $$$$$ aluminum heads only to pull them back off 2 or 3 months later to find that the water has eaten away at your investment
    just something to think about. and thats my .02

1978 Rogers
    ck you will have to drain the block to make room for the antifreeze right? i've never used antifreeze and i doubt he would need it at 25-30* with a drained block.i'm curious now to hear if most others use antifreeze.
    You might want to do the anti freeze thing to play it safe. I thought I had all my water out of the block a couple years ago. It pushed out some of the frost plugs.

oldbuck40
    You might want to do the anti freeze thing to play it safe. I thought I had all my water out of the block a couple years ago. It pushed out some of the frost plugs.
    your right! it will bust em out. Mine cracked the block on a brand new engine years ago. cant ever tell if its all out or not so i just pump mine full of antifreeze!

hellman2u
    I pump a mix of 50/50 antifreeze and water thru my motor and Intercooler with the same bilge pump set up I use in the pits at the races. If for no other reason it will slow the natural rust process in the block , not to mention being good to about 30 below in case of a cold Oregon deep freeze. I fog the motor and drain the fuel bowls and tank as well. I do it even though I pull and inspect / freshen the motor each spring. I have seen some people cost themselves some big $$$$ not taking an afternoon to take care of their toys. Like Nike says "JUST DO IT" Jim

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast