Thread: fuel tank question

vdrivenman
    boat is 1979 and has the fiberglass side tanks. motor requires 110 racing fuel.
    question is ? should i drain the tanks and allow to dry over winter/off season or fill them and leave them alone or add some kind of additive to fuel.
    thanks

jimsplace
    When I had fiberglass tanks, they were somewhat transparent. If that is the case, I would suggest draining the tanks and keeping the fuel in something that does not allow light to penetrate it, or at least something dark in color.
    Apparently the lead in the fuel will separate out if sunlight (i will assume UV light) is allowed to hit it.
    It sounds kind of weird, but I have been told that several times.

VDRIVERACING
    Replace ASAP. Lotsa horror stories about additives in gas these days that eats fiberglas.

Moneypitt
    When I had fiberglass tanks, they were somewhat transparent. If that is the case, I would suggest draining the tanks and keeping the fuel in something that does not allow light to penetrate it, or at least something dark in color.
    Apparently the lead in the fuel will separate out if sunlight (i will assume UV light) is allowed to hit it.
    It sounds kind of weird, but I have been told that several times.
    The tanks are also vented, which would leave the varnish and evaporate the part of the fuel that goes bang!!!! Store the fuel in a closed container, off the floor, and a little stabilizer can't hurt either. If you're asking about the tanks, let them dry out, empty........MP

vdrivenman
    thanks for the replies. i too have heard about problems with fiberglass tanks,but these have been in the boat since new and i've never had anything show up in the filter system.
    the interior sides and floor are black and the tanks are not transparent.
    i will pump them out and was going to change the filler necks anyways so i wil let them dry.
    thanks for the help!

River Rat 005
    Moneypit, why store it off the floor?

Moneypitt
    Moneypit, why store it off the floor?
    Moisture..........Temp changes can create moisture, simular to a glass of iced beverage.......

GofastRacer
    I would rip them glass tanks out myself!..