Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Question???

johnboy
    Ok let the flaming begin! I am new to the board, new to Jet Boats as well. Here is the deal, I inherited a 21' Biemeyer Jet boat, w/a 460/Berkley pump. Boat runs good, came from my father in law, he has had since it was 2 years old or so. The floor in the boat was shot, so this weekend we starte pulling the floor out. The stringers look good, both are solid. The cross member right in front of the motor was shot. Most of the rot on the decking was located just forward of the engine. Cut out all the bad flooring and I have worked with glass quite a bit (on vettes) so that should not be an issue. My question is that the rear cross member (for lack of better term) conecting the stringers is the only cross member. Should I place another one or two forward of that? Or would that screw up the dynamics of the hull? I do not want to do anything that will negatively affect the hull, but I do want to make the strongest floor possible. I would appresiate any feed back you guys could give me on this.
    Thanks
    John

Bense468
    Was there any other cross member before? I am guessing there wasn't. I don't think it will hurt it at all to put one more in there. That is just my opinion though.

johnboy
    There was just the one crossmember maybe 2" in front of the front motor mounts or so. That one will definetly be replaced.
    John

Slick
    Are you talking crossmember or bulkhead? Either way it shouldn't be a problem. I just did a new floor in my 21' open bow. Check your PM under "my profile" feel free to call if you have any questions.
    Slick

Bense468
    yeah I really don't see a need to add any more. Just replace the one that is rotted. If you want to add another then I don't think it will hurt anything at all.

565edge
    You should be fine with one,usually it is there to keep water from engine compartment from getting up front?

johnboy
    Thanks for the offer slick, I might do that it will be next week before I get a chance to get back on it. Prolly mon-tue.
    B-468, I just want to do it once, do it right so that is why I brought up the question. I think we may add one about two feet in front of the original, just for added support of the floor. I wasn't sure what affect the support would have on the hull of the boat?
    Thanks for the input guys.

Slick
    johnboy:
    I think we may add one about two feet in front of the original, just for added support of the floor. I wasn't sure what affect the support would have on the hull of the boat?
    Thanks for the input guys.Forget adding one a couple feet apart. Add a ski locker and put one about 72" from the one infront of the bilge area.

HBjet
    just replace what is rotted. Also, the correct term would be bulkhead.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet
    [ August 08, 2002, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

johnboy
    Thanks HB, but I am guessing buLkhead not Buik head. You would think I should know something simple as that huh? Thanks for the input.
    J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast