Thread: Olds to Chevy conversion, engine height?

Boostedballs
    So I have the BBC on the stand and it is getting lots of attention with the die grinder. My little brain begins to remember that the Olds 455 had only about 1/2" of space between the top of the air cleaner and the engine cover. It had a performer intake with edelbrock carb and short air cleaner.
    How is this BBC going to look in there? I plan on using a single plane Dart intake and the same short air cleaner for now. Will I be able to close the engine cover?

jungledave
    So I have the BBC on the stand and it is getting lots of attention with the die grinder. My little brain begins to remember that the Olds 455 had only about 1/2" of space between the top of the air cleaner and the engine cover. It had a performer intake with edelbrock carb and short air cleaner.
    How is this BBC going to look in there? I plan on using a single plane Dart intake and the same short air cleaner for now. Will I be able to close the engine cover?Well I have two sleekcraft Kauais, one olds powered and one chevy powered. The olds valve covers sits at least one and a half inches higher than the chevy. The airgap on the chevy only sits and inch or so higher than my olds intake though. I think a dart intake will sit and inch higher than my air gap though. I would have to cut a hole in the cover on the olds boat to run the chevy for sure but only for the air cleaner. I could put the hood off the olds on the chevy and let you know how short I was though. Both boats have the fiberglass hoods with the center hood that opens.

jungledave
    How is this BBC going to look in there? I plan on using a single plane Dart intake and the same short air cleaner for now. Will I be able to close the engine cover?well I wasn't thinking I don't have my olds in my boat right now. I should have it back in next weekend. Just replacing the rear main seal.

Boostedballs
    Well, if I have to choose between horsepower and a pretty engine cover, I'll take the horsepower! The engine is going in without respect to the engine cover.

jungledave
    Well, if I have to choose between horsepower and a pretty engine cover, I'll take the horsepower! The engine is going in without respect to the engine cover.well I finally measured it and the chevy with a performer rpm air gap sits 1.5 inches taller than my olds at the carb/air cleaner ring.

Bow Tie Omega
    well I finally measured it and the chevy with a performer rpm air gap sits 1.5 inches taller than my olds at the carb/air cleaner ring.
    Sounds like it is time for a fiberglass air scoop

Boostedballs
    I'm just gunna build it with a Dart single plane and nitrous plate. If the cover doesn't close, I'm gunna hack a hole in it and call it good!