Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Run Their Jet in the Ocean?

Michael2000
    I never see any jets in the ocean, other than big commercial vessels like Catalina Express. I was just curious if anyone had ever taken their jet boat out there and what happened. Did it cavitate with the waves? Did it get plugged with sea weed? Or did everything work OK?
    Michael

Jetaholic
    As low as most of them ride you'd probly end up sinkin' the mufuka!

i've wondered about it, i leave like a mile from the ocean and on some days man it looks smooth out there and like i could take a trip to the peir and back. I see boats the size of mine out there, my neighbors is a 17' and he goes out for hours. But his sits high and it made for it where as boats like ours sits low. I just hate the idea of my boat in salt water so i dont do it.
    Now my sisters fiance has a 18' jet and he has taken it out a few times. He's never had any problems out there. he said it's great out there, the swells i guess are large enough that it's not really like hitting waves.
    So i cant really say, i've been out there full bore in a dienni and it wasnt bad, and that think was probably 12ft?

FOURQ
    back in the day my Dad used to test the TFJ's in the ocen down in long beach. .My brother Nuckin futs and I have run his 20' southwind out there as well. no problems with anything just read the swells or you will be gettin BIG AIR

moneysucker
    We go out in the bay every year for bay fair saces in San Diego but you have to consider the havoc that the salt water plays on your electrical components. It usually kills a starter that race or at the very least has to be rebuilt. Of course Firebird raceway is worse.
    Cy

boatgonewild
    I take my jet skiis in the ocean all the time,,so rolling my jet boat in the ocean wouldnt be that big of a deal.... alot smaller kinds of boats are out there.... but check the surf and run water through the motor and pump as soon as you exit the water.. I mean alot of water..... Salt will jack the bearings real bad.... RE grease the pump everytime.....but there is big air out there... so get some ...

Bow Tie Omega
    I was just talking about this with BrendellaJet and V-drive. I wanted to take the wife and kids down to Dan Point just to cruise and take my daughter to see the sea lions out at the nav bouy off of the point. As you all have mentioned, anticipate what is happening ahead of you. If you are going to go airborne, lift. Make sure you flush you motor after you are done and try to wash any of the salt water out of the pump. Use common sense and you should be ok.

Sleeper CP
    I have a friend that had a 21' mini-day crushier, so it had some good free-board on it. Here in San Diego he would launch at Mission Bay at on a smooth day run out of the channel and run up and down the coastline a few miles each direction.
    Before launch he would use up a can of WD-40 on the engine and wirings. When he pulled it out he would double wash it. On the way home he would stop by a car wash and wash the boat and trailer and he would wash them again when he got home.
    He loved it, as long as you have the free-board it's great.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Cas
    there really isn't any ill effects but don't forget to rinse the trailer really well and be sure to get the salt water out of the wheel bearings also. Flushing the engine and pump is only part of the cleaning process.
    Water spots can be a pain in the arse, especially on the aluminum and chrome.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    All the time up here in Boston. Salt water gives you more boyancy (sp?) so you go faster!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast